A tree for ID 29.04.09 AT

Abhay Tiwari

Apr 28, 2009, 10:43:03 PM4/28/09
to indiantreepix
Dear friends,

Here is another tree for your help in identification. The first picture could be misleading since the lower trunk of the tree seems to have gotten buried under the raised footpath. In the third picture one can see the greeinsh fruit among the leaves. And last picture is here to give you an idea of the texture of the bark.

with regards

Abhay
DSCN0383.JPG
DSCN0385.JPG
DSCN0389.JPG
DSCN0390.JPG

Abhay Tiwari

Apr 28, 2009, 11:10:37 PM4/28/09
to indiantreepix
Sorry. Forgot to give space and time dimensions.

Location: Goregaon West, Mumbai.
Date: 27th April 2009

Stephen A

Apr 28, 2009, 11:42:28 PM4/28/09
to Abhay Tiwari, indiantreepix
It could be Muntingia calabura.

Check this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muntingia
http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/plants/cherry_tree.htm
http://www.hear.org/Pier/species/muntingia_calabura.htm

Regards,

Stephen...
--
Think about the Environment before printing this e-mail! ü
+----------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------+

Abhay Tiwari

Apr 28, 2009, 11:51:04 PM4/28/09
to indiantreepix
Thanks friends.
It indeed is Muntingia Calabura or Singpore Cherry or Kewni. The
Marathi name Kewni is given by Dinesh Valke on his photostream on
flickre.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/318367600/

It feels repetetive to say this- but its so much fun to be part of
this group.

Abhay

Abhay Tiwari

Apr 28, 2009, 11:55:06 PM4/28/09
to indiantreepix
I wrote friends because apart from Dr. Stephen's idenitfication as
Muntingia Calabura, Ranjini Kamath also wrote this to me :

Abhayji

The leaves resemble Singapore Cherry's ?

Ranjini Kamath

Devendra Bhardwaj

Apr 29, 2009, 12:10:01 AM4/29/09
to Abhay Tiwari, indiantreepix
Hell It is Singapore Cherry

Muntingia calabura

--- On Wed, 29/4/09, Abhay Tiwari <abha...@gmail.com> wrote:

Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter now!

Swagat

Apr 29, 2009, 2:31:40 AM4/29/09
to Abhay Tiwari, indiantreepix
Dear all,

Yes, it is 'Muntingia calabura' Singpore Cherry... but in Marathi it is called 'Paanchara'  'पांचारा' by some farmers in Western Maharashtra.

It is not the 'Kewni' 'केवणी' ... Kewni is different... 'Helicteres isora' called 'Kewni' 'केवणी'  or 'Kewan' 'केवण' in Marathi.

Please correct if I have mistaken.

Regards,
~Swagat
9223217568

Dinesh Valke

Apr 29, 2009, 12:02:47 PM4/29/09
to Swagat, Abhay Tiwari, indiantreepix
... Thanks much Swagat ... indeed kewni केवणी or kewan केवण is more apt for H. isora. I have heard that from the local folks of Karnala say so.
Will try to dig into केव्नी kewni stated for M. calabura and be back sooner or later !!
(I also see now that the Marathi spelling केव्नी is inaccurate).

As far as Paanchara  पांचारा for M. calabura in Marathi, the name is interesting (for one: ¿ is there any meaning to it ?) ... but just as Swagat says, it could be what the locals in a particular region call it. Else I could not find any mention on internet or reference books. Not-so-popular names is justified - the plant is non-native ... not sure how recently it got introduced.

Regards.