Telugu name for Peristylus lawii Wight

Dinesh Valke

Mar 27, 2024, 3:13:22 AMMar 27
to efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam, Mandru Ramesh Chowdary
Dear Lalithamba ji and Mandru ji,
I found a Telugu name "malli dumpa" for the tuber of Peristylus lawii Wight
Reference: Kandagatla, Ramesh & Ragan, Ajmeera & Suthari, Sateesh & Raju, Vatsavaya. (2018). PERISTYLUS LAWII (ORCHIDACEAE): A NEW RECORD FOR TELANGANA STATE, INDIA. 41.

I am familiar with the word దుంప dumpa for tuber, typically an edible tuber.
But I am not sure about malli ... would it be మల్లి ... or ... మళ్ళీ ?

Regards.
Dinesh

Mandru Ramesh Chowdary

Mar 27, 2024, 3:21:03 AMMar 27
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam
Thank you for the mail Dinesh sir,
Peristylus lawii is an orchid, usually used to cure insect bites such as honey bee.

The telugu name is మల్లిదుంప.

Thank you

Dinesh Valke

Mar 27, 2024, 3:25:25 AMMar 27
to Mandru Ramesh Chowdary, efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam
Many many thanks, Mandru ji, for the prompt response, the help with the name, and for the important information.
Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Mar 28, 2024, 2:45:30 AMMar 28
to Mandru Ramesh Chowdary, efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam
Hello Mandru ji,
Would మల్లిదుంప mean fragrant tuber ?

Regards.
Dinesh

Mandru Ramesh Chowdary

Mar 28, 2024, 10:00:31 AMMar 28
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam
May be Dinesh sir, మల్లి in telugu represent jasmine which has a fragrant flowers.

Actually, I am not familiar with local names. Only up to a some extent I can

Thank you

Lalithamba Avadhanam

Mar 28, 2024, 10:38:50 AMMar 28
to Mandru Ramesh Chowdary, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
As the flowers are white like jasmines, tribal people call such flowers as malli and for bearing tubers it is called malli-dumpa; even many parasitic herbs such as Striga is with white flowers, and grows on roots of jowar, grass etc, hence it is named as jonnamalli, when orobanche with small white flowers grows on tobacco it is called, pogakumalli .
--
A.Lalithamba

Mandru Ramesh Chowdary

Mar 28, 2024, 10:42:21 AMMar 28
to Lalithamba Avadhanam, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thank you for the information Madam

Dinesh Valke

Mar 28, 2024, 11:19:01 AMMar 28
to Mandru Ramesh Chowdary, Lalithamba Avadhanam, efloraofindia
Many many thanks Mandru ji, for all the help you give me.
Thank you very much, Lalithamba ji, for the elaborate reasoning.
Regards.
Dinesh