long climber ID from Hooghly 22-04-12 SK-2

surajit koley

Apr 22, 2012, 2:28:54 AM4/22/12
to efloraofindia
Sir,

I thought a TV cable snapped off and ran across the ground. It was glossy black with a diameter of a TV/Telephone cable. But why nodes?!!! And it was going to die shortly due to human intervention :(

Species : UNKNOWN
Habit & Habitat : wild twiner, roadside
Date : 18-04-2012, 2.20 p.m.
Place : Dattapur (Hooghly), WB

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley
DSCN2296.jpg
DSCN2297.jpg
DSCN2300.jpg
DSCN2300.jpg
DSCN2302.jpg
DSCN2303.jpg

surajit koley

Apr 22, 2012, 2:40:41 AM4/22/12
to efloraofindia
Sorry, i have attached an image twice instead of attaching this one....

Regards,

surajit koley

DSCN2299.jpg

Muthu Karthick

Apr 22, 2012, 3:49:47 AM4/22/12
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Any Menispermaceae?
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

surajit koley

Apr 22, 2012, 12:15:34 PM4/22/12
to Muthu Karthick, efloraofindia
Sir,

That's too tough to a kindergarten student to search for... :)

Regards,

surajit

jmgarg1

Apr 27, 2012, 1:38:51 AM4/27/12
to efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ratang...@yahoo.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, anikets...@gmail.com, archan...@yahoo.co.in, Ruhi Chhabra, surajit koley

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1840 members & 1,10,000 messages on 31/3/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 6500 species).

DSCN2296.jpg
DSCN2297.jpg
DSCN2300.jpg
DSCN2300.jpg
DSCN2302.jpg
DSCN2303.jpg

Vijayasankar

Apr 27, 2012, 9:58:48 AM4/27/12
to J.M. Garg, indiatreepix
Forwarding the mail from Surajit ji, to the group...
Thanks Surajit ji for the additional, nice pictures!

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Apr 27, 2012, 12:53:07 PM4/27/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ratang...@yahoo.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, anikets...@gmail.com, archan...@yahoo.co.in, Ruhi Chhabra
Thank you Sir for taking care of this post too.
A couple of days ago i recorded a similar liana that might be this same species. Attaching those photographs (this new set of photographs were taken on 24-04-2012 in another place of Hooghly, West Bengal).
.Regards,
Surajit Koley

DSCN2457.jpg
VSCN2497.jpg
twining Moringa oleifera DSCN2459.jpg
VSCN2501.jpg

surajit koley

Apr 27, 2012, 3:09:27 PM4/27/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg
Extremely sorry Vijayasankar Ji, i forgot to add these images to the post that day. I can see my folly here!

Thank you & Regards,

surajit

kamasani narasimhareddy

May 3, 2012, 1:32:16 AM5/3/12
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg
Dear Surajit Ji,

Please check with Tiliacora acuminata. It is a common climber along the field hedges and roadsides.
Is it commonly available in West Benagal?

With Regards

K.N. Reddy
Research Scientist
Laila R&D CentreUnit-1, Phase-III, Jawahar Autonagar,
Vijayawada-520 007
Andhra Pradesh

surajit koley

May 3, 2012, 1:23:36 PM5/3/12
to kamasani narasimhareddy, indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg
Thank you very much Sir for the ID suggestion.
This plant is very common in West Bengal and, as you have mentioned, a common climber in hedges and roadsides. But i think i would have to wait until i capture fruit images of this plant so that i could compare it with those available in the internet.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

surajit koley

May 7, 2012, 2:54:19 PM5/7/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Muthu Karthick, Vijay, kamasani narasimhareddy
Sir,

Today (07-05-12) again visited the very same plant to see if i could get some fruit pics. But, to my bad luck, someone has cut it very recently. Attaching the photographs that i recorded today. Also attaching flower pics of another plant (same species) found nearby.

One thing is very clear to me that this liana is very common here and all the three sets of pictures uploaded so far are from the same species.

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

jmgarg1

May 13, 2012, 4:45:29 AM5/13/12
to surajit koley, indian...@googlegroups.com, Muthu Karthick, Vijay, kamasani narasimhareddy, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Please check with Tiliacora acuminata. It is a common climber along the field hedges and roadsides. Is it commonly available in West Benagal?
With Regards
K.N. Reddy”

"Thank you very much Sir for the ID suggestion.
This plant is very common in West Bengal and, as you have mentioned, a common climber in hedges and roadsides. But i think i would have to wait until i capture fruit images of this plant so that i could compare it with those available in the internet.
Regards,
Surajit Koley"

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1860 members & 1,15,000 messages on 30/4/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 6500 species).

surajit koley

May 13, 2012, 1:21:08 PM5/13/12
to jmgarg1, indian...@googlegroups.com, Muthu Karthick, Vijay, kamasani narasimhareddy, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com
Sir,

Thank you very much for making this post resurface, as always you do, taking care of everything.

I kept this in my mind and searched extensively if i could get any fruit pic of this plant. What i observed for the past one month :

1) It is very common roadside liana, spreads rapidly, climbs any tree it finds in its vicinity and covers the entire canopy of its host tree, however big the host is.

2) It runs along the ground, often spreading parallel shoots, when there is no tree nearby.

4) I didn't find any fruit to compare it with Tiliacora acuminata - http://cfrmcc.yolasite.com/resources/300ar.gif

I am grateful to Muthu Ji, Vijayasankar Ji and Reddy Ji for giving me the leads for this liana. After doing some search in the net it appears to me that it could be some other species of Tiliacora, maybe Tiliacora racemosa as in -

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

surajit koley

May 18, 2012, 2:57:36 PM5/18/12
to kamasani narasimhareddy, indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar Raman
Sir,

First, i must confess that i cannot help but calling myself 'a fool'!

I have excuses though : a) so few online data is available regarding wild species of India, specially if it does not bear attractive flowers or fruits, b) almost no image is available so that it could help a layperson... etc.

However, i just found out (what i didn't know earlier) that -

1) A Menispermaceae member is a dioecious plant - http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=10561
2) Tiliacora racemosa is a synonym of T. acuminata or Cocculus acuminatus - http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=220013554
3) The plant T. acuminata / T. recemosa has ayurvedic use - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15476314

Attaching here some more photographs of the same plant. Please confirm if the species is Tiliacora acuminata.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM, kamasani narasimhareddy <drknre...@gmail.com> wrote:
DSCN3816.jpg
DSCN3820.jpg
DSCN3821.jpg
VSCN3818.jpg
VSCN3900.jpg

jmgarg1

May 27, 2012, 3:36:23 AM5/27/12
to jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, Dr K.N.Reddy, Vijayasankar Raman
Thank you very much, Garg Sir, for making it resurface. I am yet to get any fruit pics of Tilicora acuminata.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

Giby Kuriakose

May 27, 2012, 8:50:31 AM5/27/12
to surajit koley, jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, Dr K.N.Reddy, Vijayasankar Raman
Flowers opening across the tip and not down the sides (Gamble-I page 25). Hence, this might be Pachygone ovata of Menispermaceae family.
Thanks to Navandu for introducing this plant to me while we were together in Pooyamkutty forests in Kerala.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

surajit koley

May 27, 2012, 10:06:38 AM5/27/12
to Giby Kuriakose, jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, Dr K.N.Reddy, Vijayasankar Raman
Thank you Giby Sir for the ID. This supports Vijayasankar Ji's identification.

Thank you Garg Sir.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

surajit koley

May 30, 2012, 10:02:55 AM5/30/12
to Dr K.N.Reddy, jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, Vijayasankar Raman
Dr Reddy Sir,

Thank you very much for confirming the species. The day before yesterday i came to know that some local people call it LAVANGA-LATA (lavanga = clove; lata = climber/twiner/creeper) in Bengali. This is, however, i think due to blackish dry male flowers of this plant. But, unlike the plant this name (LAVANGA-LATA) is not common.

Garg Sir,

Thank you very much for taking care of this plant

With regards,

Surajit Koley

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Dr K.N.Reddy <knr...@lailanutra.com> wrote:
Dear Garg ji,

It is falls under Tiliacora acuminata only. In Pachygone leaf tip is mucronate. Here the leaves are having acuminate tip.

K.N. Reddy

surajit koley

Jun 13, 2012, 1:05:52 PM6/13/12
to Dr K.N.Reddy, jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick, Giby Kuriakose
Sir,

I have recorded the fruits of the same plant today. I am grateful to all of you for introducing me to a new family that i didn't know earlier.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Dr K.N.Reddy <knr...@lailanutra.com> wrote:
Dear Garg ji,

It is falls under Tiliacora acuminata only. In Pachygone leaf tip is mucronate. Here the leaves are having acuminate tip.

K.N. Reddy
DSCN5558.jpg
DSCN5561.jpg
DSCN5562.jpg
DSCN5568.jpg
DSCN5571.jpg

Giby Kuriakose

Jun 13, 2012, 1:12:05 PM6/13/12
to surajit koley, Dr K.N.Reddy, jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick
According to Gamble, the key character differentiating Pachygone and Tiliacora is the flower opening...
Flower opening down the sides..... Tiliacora
Flower opening across the tip....... Pachygone

Leaf characters are not mentioned by Gamble!

Regards
Giby

surajit koley

Jun 13, 2012, 1:16:22 PM6/13/12
to Giby Kuriakose, Dr K.N.Reddy, jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick
Giby Sir, now it is getting very much complicated to me :(((

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Jun 13, 2012, 3:28:41 PM6/13/12
to Giby Kuriakose, Dr K.N.Reddy, jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick
Sir / Madam,

A search in the "ENVIS Centre of Medicinal Plants" (http://envis.frlht.org/botanical_search.php) yields following results :-
  1. a sketch - http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=115772&flora_id=5
  2. description - http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=220013554

The plant in my post more close to Tiliacora acuminata than Pachygone ovata.

Thank you & Regards,

Surajit Koley

Vijayasankar

Jun 13, 2012, 7:46:06 PM6/13/12
to surajit koley, Giby Kuriakose, Dr K.N.Reddy, jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, Muthu Karthick
Surajit ji,

I think I created lots of confusion in this thread :(
Sorry for that :)
After study, I tend to agree with your conclusion - Tiliacora acuminata, as earlier identified by Dr. Narasimha Reddy.
The plants of both these species are more or less comparable and are also highly variable, hence the confusion.
However, the differences are said to be:
     Leaves pinnately nerved, acuminate at apex; carpels 6-9 ---> Tiliacora acuminata
     Leaves palmately nerved, acute, obtuse or retuse at apex; carpels 3 ---> Pachygone ovata

Thanks to Giby for the additional flower feature that I was not aware.
Please check the number of carpels in your plant when possible.

Note: The picture in the flickr & wiki links provided by you is probably incorrectly identified as Pachygone. It looks like a Dioscorea species to me.
Thank you

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

surajit koley

Jun 13, 2012, 9:11:48 PM6/13/12
to Vijayasankar, Giby Kuriakose, Dr K.N.Reddy, jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, Muthu Karthick
Good morning Vijayasankar Ji.

I am very sorry that things turned out this way.

I understand the difficulties of identifying plants only by means of virtual images. That too often recorded by members like me who have no expertise in the field and do no not know what characters are to look for and what angle to use to capture those features.

I hope i won't be deprived of your generous help in future too.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

surajit koley

Jun 18, 2012, 9:59:30 PM6/18/12
to Vijayasankar, Giby Kuriakose, Dr K.N.Reddy, jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, Muthu Karthick
Good morning Vijayasankar Ji,

Yesterday, i have recorded the pictures of what appears to me as female flower of this plant. The flower is too small to give me clear pictures.

Thank you & regards,

Surajit Koley

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 5:16 AM, Vijayasankar <vijay.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
DSCN5855.jpg
DSCN5844_800x600.jpg
DSCN5849.jpg

Vijayasankar

Jun 18, 2012, 10:58:51 PM6/18/12
to surajit koley, Giby Kuriakose, Dr K.N.Reddy, jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, Muthu Karthick
Good morning Surajit ji,

I think I am seeing 6 carpels, which confirm Dr. Narasimha Reddy's id: Tiliacora acuminata.
Thanks a lot for the follow-up and nice, detailed pictures!

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Giby Kuriakose

Jun 19, 2012, 1:57:52 AM6/19/12
to Vijayasankar, surajit koley, Dr K.N.Reddy, jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, Muthu Karthick
Dear all,

Very interesting thread.
Wonderful follow through.
Good learning.
Thanks Surjith ji for your keen interest and very clear pictures with all necessary characters.
I haven't got any information on leaves from Gamble (I only had Gamble as a reference then).
Thanks dear Vijay for additional information that was very clear.
I think this thread highlights the importance of such interactions on identifying, especially, similar looking/confusing species.

Thanks and Regards,
Giby

surajit koley

Jun 19, 2012, 1:29:18 PM6/19/12
to Vijayasankar, Giby Kuriakose, Dr K.N.Reddy, jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, Muthu Karthick
Thank you very much Vijayasankar Ji for confirming. It's sad that nobody in my locality, including myself, knows its Bengali name, yet it's very common here.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

surajit koley

Jun 19, 2012, 3:00:39 PM6/19/12
to Giby Kuriakose, Vijayasankar, Dr K.N.Reddy, jmgarg1, efloraofindia, tanay...@gmail.com, ulu_bo...@yahoo.co.in, mitra...@gmail.com, mithi...@yahoo.com, pch...@gmail.com, pauls...@gmail.com, micromi...@gmail.com, subh...@yahoo.com, apda...@gmail.com, pamyn...@gmail.com, Muthu Karthick
Thank you very much Giby Sir for your wonderful feedback. It will really keep me going so that i could learn a thing or two. Otherwise i loose my nerves sometimes.

Regards,

Surajit Koley