Malvaceae week: RVS1: Hibiscus platanifolius

Vijayasankar

Sep 10, 2011, 1:16:45 AM9/10/11
to indiatreepix
Hibiscus platanifolius, a straggling shrub with beautiful flowers. Flower picture from Javvadhu hills, Tiruvannamalai dt. (TN), fruit pic from Talakona forest (AP). The leaves just like that of a Platanus, so the specific epithet.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

hibiscus platanifolius_2.jpg
hibiscus platanifolius_3.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Sep 10, 2011, 1:23:13 AM9/10/11
to Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
... new hibiscus !! Many thanks Vijayasankar ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

Madhuri Raut

Sep 10, 2011, 1:31:52 AM9/10/11
to Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
what a beauty. The centre of the flower looks like a flower itself.
Regards
Bhagyashri

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 10, 2011, 2:00:32 AM9/10/11
to Madhuri Raut, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Thanks for another jewel to our collection of Hibiscus species.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Vijayasankar

Sep 10, 2011, 2:17:07 AM9/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Madhuri Raut, Dinesh Valke, indiatreepix
Thank you all. Its one of my favorite flowers :)
first collected from my study area...

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Tanay Bose

Sep 10, 2011, 2:17:53 AM9/10/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Madhuri Raut, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Awesome looking plant
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Vijayasankar

Sep 10, 2011, 2:19:46 AM9/10/11
to Tanay Bose, Gurcharan Singh, Madhuri Raut, Dinesh Valke, indiatreepix
Thanks Tanay, it would have been more beautiful if Dinesh ji or one of other experts here clicked it :(
but still i like it :)

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

mani nair

Sep 10, 2011, 2:23:07 AM9/10/11
to Vijayasankar, Tanay Bose, Gurcharan Singh, Madhuri Raut, Dinesh Valke, indiatreepix
Vijay ji, Beautiful flower. first time seeing this.
Thanks for sharing
Regards,
Mani.

>> --

>> *Tanay Bose*

>> Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant.
>> Department of Botany.
>> University of British Columbia .
>> 3529-6270 University Blvd.
>> Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
>> Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
>> 604-822-2019 (Lab)
>> 604-822-6089 (Fax)
>> ta...@interchange.ubc.ca

>> *Webpages:*

Tanay Bose

Sep 10, 2011, 2:25:00 AM9/10/11
to mani nair, Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Madhuri Raut, Dinesh Valke, indiatreepix
Possibly but yours is appreciable
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.
University of British Columbia .
3529-6270 University Blvd.
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
           604-822-2019 (Lab)
           604-822-6089  (Fax)
Webpages:

Vijayasankar

Sep 10, 2011, 2:33:09 AM9/10/11
to mani nair, Tanay Bose, Gurcharan Singh, Madhuri Raut, Dinesh Valke, indiatreepix
Thanks Mani ji, I think I have earlier also uploaded this. It is a potential ornamental plant but only problem is that the fruits have kind of stinging hairs. Hope some improved variety will come in the future.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi