Salix caprea

Shakir Ahmad

Feb 26, 2023, 5:50:29 AM2/26/23
to efloraofindia
Location:kulgam
Date of collection:26-02-2023
Kashmiri name :Braed mushk
Screenshot_2023-02-26-16-18-56-134_com.miui.gallery.jpg
Screenshot_2023-02-26-16-18-49-926_com.miui.gallery.jpg

taffa...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2023, 6:02:11 AM2/26/23
to eFloraofIndia
Nice photos
In Kashmir the sweet scented flowers of Bred Mushak signify the end of winter.
Thanks for mentioning their botanical name.
Regards
Taffazull

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 26, 2023, 1:14:06 PM2/26/23
to eFloraofIndia
Yes Salix caprea, Bred Mushak.

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 26, 2023, 2:16:23 PM2/26/23
to eFloraofIndia
To set nomenclature right, the Salix caprea of Indian authors incl FBI is correctly  Salix aegyptiaca Linnaeus

Mahadeswara

Feb 26, 2023, 11:13:54 PM2/26/23
to eFloraofIndia
Wonderful Shakir ji !

J.M. Garg

Mar 1, 2023, 5:57:30 AM3/1/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, GurcharanSingh, Saroj Kasaju, Anil Thakur, Tabish
Hi, Singh ji,
You mean to say the images at the following are also of S.aegyptiaca:
Salix caprea (by Shakir ji)
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Goat%20Willow.html  (by Shakir ji)
Salix caprea AT/JUNE2021/1 (by Anil ji)

With regards,
J.M.Garg
Screenshot_2023-02-26-16-18-56-134_com.miui.gallery.jpg
Screenshot_2023-02-26-16-18-49-926_com.miui.gallery.jpg

J.M. Garg

Mar 5, 2023, 5:57:14 AM3/5/23
to GurcharanSingh, saadiks...@gmail.com, Tabish, efloraofindia, Anil Thakur, Saroj Kasaju

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg
Screenshot_2023-02-26-16-18-56-134_com.miui.gallery.jpg
Screenshot_2023-02-26-16-18-49-926_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 5, 2023, 3:02:02 PM3/5/23
to eFloraofIndia
Yes Garg ji, we don't have S. caprea in Kashmir.

J.M. Garg

Mar 6, 2023, 1:04:10 AM3/6/23
to efloraofindia, Anil Thakur, Tabish, saadiks...@gmail.com, Saroj Kasaju, GurcharanSingh
Thanks, Singh ji
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 6, 2023, 2:07:45 AM3/6/23
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anil Thakur, Tabish, saadiks...@gmail.com, GurcharanSingh
Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 12.45.31.png

J.M. Garg

Mar 9, 2023, 7:12:36 AM3/9/23
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia, Anil Thakur, Tabish, saadiks...@gmail.com, GurcharanSingh
Yes, also needs to be corrected in FOI.

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 9, 2023, 10:18:58 AM3/9/23
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anil Thakur, Tabish, saadiks...@gmail.com, GurcharanSingh

Shakir Ahmad

Mar 10, 2023, 1:30:12 AM3/10/23
to Saroj Kasaju, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anil Thakur, Tabish, GurcharanSingh
Salix caprea is Introduced species of kashmir.... And yes it has distribution In kashmir...
I think salix caprea is different from S.aegyptiaca

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 10, 2023, 1:59:17 AM3/10/23
to Shakir Ahmad, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Anil Thakur, Tabish, GurcharanSingh
Yes, Shakir.
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

taffa...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2023, 3:37:14 AM3/11/23
to eFloraofIndia
I do not know much taxonomy but it is written in Wikipedia that unlike all other willows pure S.caprea can not be grown from cuttings. According to Wikipedia :
" Unlike almost all other willows, pure specimens do not take root readily from cuttings; if a willow resembling the species does root easily, it is probably a hybrid with another species of willow." Since Bred Mushk  in Kashmir is propagated from cuttings ( I did it once myself) it must either be another species or a hybrid.
Regards
Taffazull

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 11, 2023, 2:12:01 PM3/11/23
to eFloraofIndia
Please note that for more than 100 years the Kashmir Bredmushk was known as S. caprea L. It was only Stewart in 1972 who ponted out that plant known as S. caprea by Flora of British India as also Forest Flora of Punjab 1956 was actually S. aegyptiaca L. Flora of Pakistan which usually lists all plants from Kashmir does not list S. caprea.
This should help to confirm whether or not both occur in Kahmir.
  S. aegyptiaca (S. medemii) — Egyptian willow A willow originating from West Asia and widely cultivated. (Plants from Egypt, after which the species was named, represent cultivated material.) Due to tree habit and broad hairy leaves, S. aegyptiaca resembles the European goat willow S. caprea; however, unlike S. caprea, it is easily propagated from cuttings and thus has been favored for cultivation (Skvortsov 1999: 178). According to Rehder (1954), it has been in cultivation in the United States since 1888 (under the name S. medemii). As its naturalization is not yet positively demonstrated, for the time being we prefer to treat any findings as waifs. All examined herbarium samples that we could confidently identify as S. aegyptiaca as well as living plants found in Berkshire County might represent planted willows. Plants found in natural settings, deviating from S. atrocinerea or S. cinerea by somewhat bluish foliage, more densely pubescent leaves, and buds without recurved beak may belong to this species.
Another help in ID, wood under the bark is striated in S. aegyptiaca, smooth in S. caprea.

taffa...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2023, 10:53:35 PM3/11/23
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Gurcharan ji,
Thanks for the very comprehensive and scholarly explanation.
It greatly adds to our understanding of an important Kashmiri plant.
I wonder if it is native to Kashmir or was introduced by medieval practioners of Unani medicine where it is of considerable importance.
Hakeems were an important part of Kashmiri society and as the treatises of Unani medicine were in Persian language many of them had links with Iran.
Regards
Taffazull

J.M. Garg

Mar 13, 2023, 6:35:40 AM3/13/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, GurcharanSingh, saadiks...@gmail.com, Tabish, Anil Thakur, Saroj Kasaju
Thanks, Singh ji.
Tabish needs to correct it in FOI also.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tabish

Mar 14, 2023, 12:40:49 AM3/14/23
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com, GurcharanSingh, saadiks...@gmail.com, Anil Thakur, Saroj Kasaju
Thank you Garg ji and Gurcharan ji. Corrected at FOI now.
   Tabish
www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

J.M. Garg