Cassia siamea Lamk.

rashida atthar

Oct 18, 2009, 5:17:22 AM10/18/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Posting some Diwali blooms from around my place, Mumbai. As per Trees of Mumbai by Almeida and Chaturvedi, 2006,  the scientific name of this tree is Cassia siamea also known as Siam cassia and common name Kasod (Marathi). As per Trees of Delhi by P. Krishen, 2006 it is Senna siamea now syn of Cassia siamea.  Very interesting info. is given on pg 330 about Cassias and ex-cassias by the author. Request experts to kindly inform which is the accepted current name please. Thankyou.

regards,
Rashida.

From the happening headlines to the juiciest gossip, get your daily update on MSN India Drag n' drop
Cassia siamea flowers.JPG
Cassia siamea flowers2.JPG
Cassia siamea pods foliage.JPG
Cassia siamea bark.JPG

bmb

Oct 18, 2009, 10:31:20 AM10/18/09
to indiantreepix
Dear Rashida ji'

Current accepted name is Senna siamea (Lam.)H.S.Irwin & Barneby
you can see the link: http://www.catalogueoflife.org/annual-checklist/2009/show_species_details.php?record_id=576197

regards

bmb

rashida atthar

Oct 18, 2009, 11:33:28 AM10/18/09
to bri...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the correct accepted name information. The link is very informative and it is great to know about the ITIS catalogues of life, will be useful for a lot of our search. Thanks once again.

regards,
Rashida.