Araceae, Arecaceae and Zingiberaceae Fortnight: Araceae- Colocasia esculenta (L.) Schott (??)from Assam KD AUG 08

Karuna Das

Aug 12, 2014, 10:07:23 AM8/12/14
to indiantreepix

Dear All,

    Attached images may be Colocasia esculenta  (L.) Schott (??). The plant has been growing in my residence for many years. But flowering not seen.Please validate.

Date :11.08.2014

Location: At my residence (Guwahati)

Family : Araceae

Genus & species : Colocasia esculenta  (L.) Schott (??).

Habitat: Grows on damp places of hilly area

Habit : Herb, Leaf margin purple, petiole bluish in colour

Flower :Flowering not seen

With regards

Karuna Kanta Das

Guwahati 781012

Get your own FREE website, FREE domain & FREE mobile app with Company email.
Know More >
1.__IMG_6870.JPG
9._Colocasia_esculenta___L.__Schott_IMG_6864.JPG
1._Colocasia_esculenta___L.__Schott_IMG_6871.JPG
2._Colocasia_esculenta___L.__Schott_IMG_6872.JPG
3._Colocasia_esculenta___L.__Schott_IMG_6868.JPG
4._Colocasia_esculenta___L.__Schott_IMG_6859.JPG
5._Colocasia_esculenta___L.__Schott_IMG_6860.JPG
6._Colocasia_esculenta___L.__Schott_IMG_6862.JPG
7._Colocasia_esculenta___L.__Schott_IMG_6866.JPG
8._Colocasia_esculenta___L.__Schott_IMG_6863.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 14, 2014, 9:00:17 PM8/14/14
to Karuna Das, indiantreepix
Nice photographs Karuna ji.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

J.M. Garg

Aug 22, 2014, 6:18:35 AM8/22/14
to efloraofindia, Karuna Kanta Das

Some earlier relevant feedback:

efi page on Colocasia esculenta

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2380 members & 1,96,000 messages on 31/7/14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 9500 species & 1,90,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

1.__IMG_6870.JPG
9._Colocasia_esculenta___L.__Schott_IMG_6864.JPG
1._Colocasia_esculenta___L.__Schott_IMG_6871.JPG
2._Colocasia_esculenta___L.__Schott_IMG_6872.JPG
3._Colocasia_esculenta___L.__Schott_IMG_6868.JPG
4._Colocasia_esculenta___L.__Schott_IMG_6859.JPG
5._Colocasia_esculenta___L.__Schott_IMG_6860.JPG
6._Colocasia_esculenta___L.__Schott_IMG_6862.JPG
7._Colocasia_esculenta___L.__Schott_IMG_6866.JPG
8._Colocasia_esculenta___L.__Schott_IMG_6863.JPG

Aarti S. Khale

Aug 22, 2014, 7:48:48 AM8/22/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Karuna Kanta Das
Garg Ji,
Looks like Colocasia esculenta 'Fontanesii' to me.
Regards,
Aarti

surajit koley

Aug 22, 2014, 2:15:45 PM8/22/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Karuna Kanta Das
Sir,

Since leaves are not peltate, I think this should be Alocasia. Please see the entry in Haines.

Thank you

Regards
Alocasia.jpg

Pudji Widodo

Aug 24, 2014, 6:45:50 AM8/24/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Karuna Kanta Das
To me, the presence of intramarginal vein indicates Xanthosoma. I am happy if the name is Xanthosoma violaceum (the violet one).  But this is regarded as the synonym of Xanthosoma sagittifiolium (the green one).  Correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

Pudji Widodo
Faculty of Biology Jenderal Soedirman University
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA
--
Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman

J.M. Garg

Sep 2, 2014, 6:07:34 AM9/2/14
to efloraofindia, Pudji Widodo, Aarti S. Khale, surajit koley, Karuna Kanta Das

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Looks like Colocasia esculenta 'Fontanesii' to me.
Regards,
Aarti

Since leaves are not peltate, I think this should be Alocasia. Please see the entry in Haines. Attachments (1).- from Surajit ji.

To me, the presence of intramarginal vein indicates Xanthosoma. I am happy if the name is Xanthosoma violaceum (the violet one).  But this is regarded as the synonym of Xanthosoma sagittifiolium (the green one).  Correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

Pudji Widodo

efi page on Xanthosoma sagittifolium

surajit koley

Sep 3, 2014, 1:49:32 PM9/3/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Pudji Widodo, Aarti S. Khale, Karuna Kanta Das
Pudji Ji,

I couldn't understand "intramarginal vein". Would you please tell me if the attached picture qualifies for Xanthosoma?

Thank you

Regards
P1060866.jpg

surajit koley

Sep 3, 2014, 1:54:57 PM9/3/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Pudji Widodo, Karuna Kanta Das
Pudji Ji, attached herewith closer view.

Thank you once again.

Regards

P1060866b.jpg

Pudji Widodo

Sep 4, 2014, 9:40:26 AM9/4/14
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Karuna Kanta Das
Dear Surajit Ji,

Differences between Xanthosoma & Colocasia:
1. Xanthosoma leaves sagittate, Colocasia leaves ovate, cordate
2. X leaf surface not waxy.  C. waxy
3. X intramarginal vein clear. C. not clear
4. X. rhizome many. C. rhizome only one

Best Wishes,
Xanthosoma_Colocasia_leaves_a.jpg
Xanthosoma_Colocasia_Tuber_1.jpg

Pudji Widodo

Sep 4, 2014, 9:56:00 AM9/4/14
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Karuna Kanta Das
Dear Surajit Koley Ji,

An intramarginal veins is a vein parallel to the leaf margin.  So, I think your leaf is not included in Colocasia.  Another reason is that your leaf surface is shiny.
Xanthosoma_vein.jpg

surajit koley

Sep 4, 2014, 11:55:00 AM9/4/14
to Pudji Widodo, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Karuna Kanta Das
Dear Pudji Ji,

I thank you very much. The difference between Xanthosoma and Colocasia would help a lot, indeed. Though, in comparison to your point no.1, FoC, FoP, FoNA inform Leaves of Colocasia is ovate to ovate-cordate to sagittate-cordate!

But, that's not a big deal! Last month I have written a number of times, in various thread, that leaves of Colocasia are peltate! I think this should be the first point to remove Colocasia in this scenario and I have already written that in this very thread!

So, my query was difference between Xanthosoma and Alocasia.

Thank you again.

Regards

surajit koley

Sep 4, 2014, 11:58:50 AM9/4/14
to Pudji Widodo, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Karuna Kanta Das
Dear Pudji Ji,

As I wrote in my earlier mail, sent you minutes ago, the question is not if it can be Colocasia. The question is - why it can't be Alocasia?

Thank you

Regards

Pudji Widodo

Sep 4, 2014, 8:44:26 PM9/4/14
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Karuna Kanta Das
The leaves of both Xanthosoma & Colocasia are also peltate if they are looked based on the the position of the petiole.  But from above it can be sagittate, ovate etc.

It is not Alocasia because the later has stem which can be so long.  Not only inside the ground.  The leaves contain a lot of oxallate crystal.  It is only used for feeding gouramy fish (Osphronemus gouramy).
Correct me if I am wrong.

surajit koley

Sep 4, 2014, 10:02:11 PM9/4/14
to Pudji Widodo, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Karuna Kanta Das
Good morning Pudji Ji and very Happy Teachers' Day

Alocasia is edible, though not all the species or all var., and not throughout anytime of the year. Usually the stocks and/or leaves with petioles are collected after the monsoon and are sold in the market. Some people do not eat it while it is favourite to other people. Since leaves are collected from time to time the wild Alocasia plant do not get much time to grow uninterrupted. My colleagues who eat Alocasia inform me that the stocks do grow 5-6 ft above the ground when they are cultivated in certain region and left in the field for more than a year. In all cases leaves of these plant are shiny/polished. Non-peltate leaves with polished/shiny upper-surface tell me that those are Alocasia, neither Colocasia nor Xanthosoma.

Karuna Ji's plant may be Xanthosoma as you have suggested, but I do not know, for I do not have any literature and Xanthosoma is new to me as I have written that in another thread - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/indiantreepix/sHHRMo8ZpaM.

Let's move to the other thread https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/indiantreepix/sHHRMo8ZpaM to avoid any confusion.

Thank you very much

Regards

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 24, 2021, 12:32:50 AM4/24/21
to efloraofindia

Gurcharan Singh

J.M. Garg

Apr 29, 2021, 6:40:37 AM4/29/21
to efloraofindia, Karuna Das, surajitkoley
Hi, Surajit ji,
What do you say ?

With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Apr 29, 2021, 6:43:48 AM4/29/21
to efloraofindia, Karuna Das, surajitkoley
I would like to go for Xanthosoma sagittifolium
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

Apr 29, 2021, 8:51:57 AM4/29/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Karuna Das
Yes, Sir, I agree with Pudji ji's id determination.

Maybe one reason for not flowering is that the place is relatively dry ?

Here they grow (or perhaps were planted by our forebearers) around ponds or DOBA (unmaintained waterbody, smaller than pond). In this summer season they are the size of a Colocasia esculenta, but during and after the rainy season they are gigantic in comparison to Colocasia.

Xanthosoma sagittifolium is an enduring plant (Colocasia too), once someone places a rhizome in the ground (or even on a wet surface) it will grow years after years, even if you cut aerial parts regularly  Only leaves and petioles are eaten here.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley

surajit koley

Apr 29, 2021, 8:55:52 AM4/29/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Karuna Das
Certainly, Sir ji.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley

J.M. Garg

Apr 29, 2021, 10:11:04 AM4/29/21
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, Karuna Das
Thanks a lot, Surajit ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg