Tumri (Mallotus nudiflorus syn. Trewia nudiflora).

J.M. Garg

Apr 3, 2008, 6:20:59 AM4/3/08
to indiantreepix
Shots taken alongside Hoogly river on 10/3/08 except for the leafless tree of 30/1/08. I have seen lot of trees in Jayanti, Duars, West Bengal along the river. See the details at http://www.nationaalherbarium.nl/ThaiEuph/ThMspecies/ThMallotus.htm#Mallotus_nudiflorus. There is not much inf. on net about this tree.

Trewia is a plant genus of the spurge family (Euphorbiaceae), comprising 2 species. It is found from the Himalaya to Hainan Island. These species have hard large fruits.

Trewia species are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species including the leaf-miner Bucculatrix verax, which feeds exclusively on Trewia nudiflora.

The hard green fruit of Trewia nudiflora, which fall to the ground in large numbers during the monsoon season, are a preferred food of the Indian rhinoceros. The passage of its seeds through the rhino gut enhances its germination rate.

The above inf. taken from Wikipedia link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trewia
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Neil Soares

Apr 3, 2008, 11:38:34 PM4/3/08
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mr. Garg,
There seems to be some confusion here. While your
tree is undoubtly some species of Mallotus, I don't
think it is Trewia nudiflora. Please check.
T.nudiflora [locally called Petari/ Petani] is a
fairly common tree in and around Bombay.
Sending you some photographs of T.nudiflora for
comparison.
With regards,
Neil Soares.

--- "J.M. Garg" <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Shots taken alongside Hoogly river on 10/3/08 except
> for the leafless tree
> of 30/1/08. I have seen lot of trees in Jayanti,
> Duars, West Bengal along
> the river. See the details at

http://www.nationaalherbarium.nl/ThaiEuph/ThMspecies/ThMallotus.htm#Mallotus_nudiflorus.
> There is not much inf. on net about this tree.
>

> *Trewia* is a plant
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant>
> genus<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genus>of the
> spurge family (
> Euphorbiaceae
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbiaceae>),

> comprising 2
> species. It is found from the

> Himalaya<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalaya>to
> Hainan
> Island <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainan>. These

> species have hard large
> fruits.
>

> *Trewia* species are used as food plants by the
> larvae<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larva>of some
> Lepidoptera
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lepidoptera> species
> including the
> leaf-miner *Bucculatrix verax
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucculatricidae>
> *, which feeds exclusively on *Trewia nudiflora*.
>
> The hard green fruit of *Trewia nudiflora*, which

> fall to the ground in
> large numbers during the monsoon season, are a
> preferred food of the Indian
> rhinoceros

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_rhinoceros>.

> The passage of
> its seeds through the rhino gut enhances its
> germination rate.
> The above inf. taken from Wikipedia
> link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trewia
> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg
> "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/
> join Google e-group
> (Indiantreepix)
> http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en
> For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Lanscape pictures
> etc., visit

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

Trewia nudiflora.jpg
Leaf of Petari,Petani.jpg
Trewia nudiflora flowers.jpg
Fruit of Trewia nudiflora.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 4, 2008, 1:42:39 AM4/4/08
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Dr. Neil, for the feedback.
I have great trouble in nailing down its Id. Mine may be a tree with female flowers.
As per Pradip Krishen's Trees of Delhi- "Flowers- male & female on separate trees; male flowers yellow in spiked clusters, with long stamens; females greenish, solitary or in 2s or 3s"
May I request you to check Pistillate flower drawing at http://www.nationaalherbarium.nl/ThaiEuph/ThMspecies/ThMallotus.htm#Mallotus_nudiflorus & revert pl.

Neil Soares

Apr 4, 2008, 3:07:57 AM4/4/08
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mr.Garg,
Even though the flowers in T.nudiflora are
dioecious, the leaves of your tree appear different to
me.
Unfortunately am not able to access the site you
have mentioned.
Regards,
Neil.

J.M. Garg

Apr 6, 2008, 8:46:13 PM4/6/08
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dr. Neil is still not satisfied with the Id of this plant as Trewia nudiflora, particularly the leaves. May I have any other view pl.

JM Garg

Dec 11, 2016, 4:52:10 AM12/11/16
to efloraofindia, Neil Soares, Dinesh Valke
Thanks, Neil ji.