Wild fruit for Id-130710-RK-3

ranjini kamath

Jul 13, 2010, 7:42:08 AM7/13/10
to indiatreepix
Hope it's possible to ID this. I do not have more pics..

Date/Time - 27-06-10/10am
Place - Bangalore outskirts.
Habitat - Wild,Rocky area.
Plant habit - Tall shrub.
Ht - around 6'.
Thanks
Regards
Ranjini Kamath

IMG_8074-ph-2.jpg

Senthilkumar

Jul 13, 2010, 7:47:22 AM7/13/10
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Hi Ranjini
This is Securinega leucopyrus
Family: Euphorbiaceae
Tamil name: Venpullanchi.

Very common in Rural Bangalore.

Regards
Senthilkumar U.
--
Senthilkumar U.
BSI & School of Ecology and Conservation,

tanay bose

Jul 13, 2010, 8:30:15 AM7/13/10
to Senthilkumar, ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
The new accepted name is Flueggea leucopyrus [Syn: Securinega leucopyrus, Phyllanthus leucopyrus] under the family Phyllanthaceae. The genus was placed under Phyllanthaceae after the Euphorbiaceae was split into two families.
Regards
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 13, 2010, 1:21:18 PM7/13/10
to tanay bose, Senthilkumar, ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Euphorbiaceae was not split into two but multiple families till APG
III, namely:
EUPHORBIACEAE
PHYLLANTHACEAE
PUTRANJIVACEAE
PICRODENDRACEAE

and more....
Pankaj

tanay bose

Jul 13, 2010, 1:57:04 PM7/13/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Senthilkumar, ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Dear Dr.Kumar,
That was just and topic where i meant to say at least two, i know the list of families which come out out of Euphorbiaceae
Tanay

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 13, 2010, 2:09:03 PM7/13/10
to tanay bose, Senthilkumar, ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Ok, no issues here...!! My information was just for general knowledge
of the members and nothing personal against you. I am sorry if it
offended you.

Pankaj

tanay bose

Jul 13, 2010, 2:13:30 PM7/13/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Senthilkumar, ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
There is nothing offensive in your paragraph so no problem
my section was simply to bring to your knowledge
Sorry if you felt harsh

Tanay