Calotropis gigantea

Samir Mehta

Oct 31, 2010, 12:52:52 PM10/31/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
October 24, 2010.
Mumbai

Regards,

Samir Mehta
Calotropis gigantea @ Mumbai .jpg
Calotropis gigantea.jpg
Calotropis gigantea 1b @ Mumbai .jpg

Balkar Arya

Oct 31, 2010, 7:54:56 PM10/31/10
to Samir Mehta, indian...@googlegroups.com
Really Nice pics Samir ji

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 31, 2010, 9:28:58 PM10/31/10
to Balkar Arya, Samir Mehta, indian...@googlegroups.com
Here are mine from Delhi with white photographs

The differences between C. procera and C. gigantea are illustrated by me in the following thread.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Nov 1, 2010, 3:30:00 PM11/1/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, Samir Mehta, indian...@googlegroups.com
NATIVE :: Asclepiadaceae (milkweed family) ~ Apocynaceae » Calotropis gigantea

kal-LOW-troh-pis -- from the Greek kalos (beautiful) and tropis (ship)
jy-GAN-tee-uh or gy-GAN-tee-uh -- large, gigantic

commonly known as: bowstring hemp, calotrope, crown flower, giant milkweed, swallow-wort • Bengali: আকন্দ aakanda • Hindi: अर्क arka, सफ़ैद आक safed aak • Malayalam: ചുവന്നഎരിക്ക് chuvannaerikk, വെള്ളെരിക്ക് vellerikk • Manipuri: অংকোত angkot • Marathi: अर्क arka, अर्की arki, रुई rui, रुइटी ruiti • Sanskrit: alarka, अर्क arka, अर्की arki, हृस्वअग्निः hrasvagnih, सदापुष्प sadapushpa • Tamil: எருக்கு erukku, மலையெருக்கு malaiyerukku • Telugu: జిల్లేడి పువ్వు jilledi puvvu, జిల్లేడు jilledu, నల్లజిల్లేడు nallajilledu, ఉచ్చింత uccinta, ఉచ్చిత uchchinta

Native to: India

Attached views from various locations; commonly found all over, in and around Thane and Mumbai
... for more views: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Calotropisgigantea&w=91314344%40N00&m=tags
2175398176_3f89914799_b.jpg
324713092_f1429c401d_b.jpg
443267170_72221f677b_b.jpg
443278734_b4ad1ad48c_b.jpg
586510435_5c90e2e2d2_b.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 1, 2010, 3:36:55 PM11/1/10
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, Samir Mehta, indian...@googlegroups.com
Latinically speaking it should be pronounced as gy-GAN-tee-uh as there
is no G (JEE as in jeep) in latin but there is G which is pronounced a
GA as in Goat!!

Hope this is understandable !!

Pankaj

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 1:00 AM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> NATIVE :: Asclepiadaceae (milkweed family) ~ Apocynaceae » Calotropis
> gigantea
>

> kal-LOW-troh-pis -- from the Greek kalos (beautiful) and tropis (ship)
> jy-GAN-tee-uh or gy-GAN-tee-uh -- large, gigantic
>

> commonly known as: bowstring hemp, calotrope, crown flower, giant milkweed,

> swallow-wort • Bengali: আকন্দ aakanda • Hindi: अर्क arka, सफ़ैद आक safed aak

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Balkar Arya

Nov 2, 2010, 8:52:40 AM11/2/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Samir Mehta, indian...@googlegroups.com
Splitted fruit looking very nice

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 2, 2010, 10:06:30 AM11/2/10
to Balkar Arya, Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Samir Mehta, indian...@googlegroups.com
found this guy sitting on leaves of above plant one day. This is
called Chirixalus dudhwaensis an endemic frog of India, likely to be
found in Nepal.

Enjoy.
Pankaj

--