ID Request - Wildflowers from North Bengal - 1

Sushmita Jha

May 1, 2009, 10:48:23 AM5/1/09
to indiantreepix
Dear all,

am posting pictures of wildflowers, plants, etc. taken last October in North Bengal (Suntaleykhola, Samsing, Gorumara, Kalimpong, Lava). Would very much appreciate ID help.

I had wrongly posted photos of 3 different flowers in one email with the following text, which I am not sure whether it had reached your inboxes:

"Hello all,

Last year in October I had taken so many pictures of wildflowers in North Bengal that cropping and sending them for ID remained as it was very time-consuming and labourious. Significantly, I have finally cropped them on Labour Day!

I will be sending one request per day of 2-3 different flowers/plants. Apologies for the deluge. Would very much appreciate your help with identification."

Many thanks.
Sushmita Jha
Wildflower ID-north bengal, Oct08- 373.jpg
Wildflower ID-north bengal, Oct08- 374.jpg

Sushmita Jha

May 1, 2009, 11:42:47 PM5/1/09
to sanal nair, indiantreepix
Hi Sanal,

many thanks. My search yielded this message:
"Your search - clerodendrum philipensis photo link - did not match any documents"

The only name that occurs with a variation of 'philipensis'  is Aphananthe philippinensis (Axe-handle Wood).

This was a thick bush with broad leaves as in the photo and just outside an abandoned tea bungalow in Samsing.
Any other ideas?
Sushmita
On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 11:24 AM, sanal nair <sanalna...@gmail.com> wrote:
 seems like clerodendrum philipensis
                                                     Sanal Nair

Swaminathan, Prakash

May 2, 2009, 12:44:08 AM5/2/09
to Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Clerodendrum fragrans... (Hajari Mogra)

May 2, 2009, 1:42:03 AM5/2/09
to Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
... most probably Clerodendrum chinense (syn. C. fragrans, C. philippinum) ... please wait for friends to validate.
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Chinese%20Glory%20Bower.html

Regards.

Sushmita Jha

May 2, 2009, 2:17:50 AM5/2/09
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Thank you Dineshji and Sanal. Indeed the flower is identified in flowersofindia as:

Clerodendrum chinense    Family: Verbenaceae (verbena family)
Synonyms: Clerodendrum fragrans/philippinum

I wish I had stayed on in Samsing till evening to enjoy its fragrance!
Sushmita Jha

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 2, 2009, 3:22:31 AM5/2/09
to Sushmita Jha, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
clerodendrum fragrans
akbhatt
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

J.M. Garg

May 2, 2009, 7:28:08 AM5/2/09
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Sushmita Jha, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Thanks, Sanal ji, Dinesh ji & Anand ji.
It's confirmed now from other posts earlier also. More details about these other posts from Indiantreepix Database:

Clerodendrum chinense (syn. C. fragrans, C. philippinum)
Verbenaceae Stickbush, Hazari Mogra, Chinese Glory Bower, Honolulu rose, Glory tree, Kuthap angouba, Madras Malli   in Shakaranagar, Bangalore- 22/4/08; at Dangs, a moist decideous forest of Gujarat in Aug'08; Chinese Glory Bower ID Flower : 0249 - indiantreepix | Google Groups ID Help Needed Plants from Dangs 1 - indiantreepix | Google Groups

2009/5/2 Anand Kumar Bhatt <anand...@gmail.com>

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

sanal nair

May 2, 2009, 2:10:50 PM5/2/09
to Sushmita Jha, indiantreepix
Hi Sushmita,
It should have read as Clerodendrum philippinum .

Regards,

Sanal Nair