efloraofindia:''For Id 20092011MR1’’ ?Audumbar tree Pune

Madhuri Raut

Sep 20, 2011, 12:50:57 AM9/20/11
to efloraofindia
Dear members,
Is this Audumbar tree with umbars?

Has anyone seen the flower of this tree . I learn that the flower is within the fruit.
Would like to see the pic if possible.

My gardner told me some story that it is very rare to see the flower of this tree. Only blessed people get to se it . It is a huge flower as big as a cart wheel and very pretty? What is this he is talking about or just a myth.

Also there is some gum like white thing on the bark. Is it gum?

Regards
Bhagyashri

190920111756.jpg
190920111760.jpg

Giby Kuriakose

Sep 20, 2011, 8:37:54 AM9/20/11
to Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
I think this is a species of Ficus. Do you have a close up picture of leaves?

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Neil Soares

Sep 20, 2011, 9:03:25 AM9/20/11
to efloraofindia, Madhuri Raut
Hi,
 This looks like Umber [ Ficus racemosa syn .Ficus glomerata]. The fig is a syconus with the flowers turned outside in. Please read Pradip Kishen's 'Trees of Delhi' pages 321 - 323 to get a proper perspective on the nature of the flowers and pollination process.
 My photographs are available at this link :

                                  With regards,
                                    Neil Soares.

Madhuri Raut

Sep 20, 2011, 9:46:55 AM9/20/11
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Thank you Gibyji and Neilji. I have seen a lot of these fruits on the tree. It is opposite my house but what I want to see are its flowers . I learn that they are within the fruit but the flower should bloom before the fruit so why do we not get to see it. Has anyone ?
Regards
Bhagyashri

Giby Kuriakose

Sep 20, 2011, 12:48:06 PM9/20/11
to Madhuri Raut, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
If you want to see the flowers of Ficus you have to split open the figs at its early-mid stages (mostly before it turns its color).
In bisexual figs the male flowers would be arranged very close to the ostiole (small opening at the opposite end of the stalk) and the female flowers are seen at the base towards the stalk.
In some cases you may see only male or female flower in one fig or figs of an individual (eg. Ficus tictoria).

Regards
Giby

Madhuri Raut

Sep 20, 2011, 11:27:16 PM9/20/11
to Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
@Gibyji
Ok I will try it. Thank You for your guidance.
Regards
Bhagyashri

Madhuri Raut

Sep 21, 2011, 5:43:52 AM9/21/11
to Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Attaching pics of cut unripe fruit. but I cannot follow the flower identification.
Regards
Bhagyashri
umbar1.jpg
210920111788.jpg
210920111786.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 21, 2011, 6:52:20 AM9/21/11
to Madhuri Raut, Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Madhuri ji
So called unripe fruit of yours is an inflorescence containing flowers and known as hypanthodium. When ovary ripens and the colour changes, it turns into syconus fruit.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Madhuri Raut

Sep 21, 2011, 8:18:32 AM9/21/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Thank you Gurcharanji. Having read about this type of inflorescence I now understand that figs and wasps are a clear example of coevolution. . very interesting.
Regards
Bhagyashri

Madhuri Raut

Sep 22, 2011, 7:21:15 AM9/22/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
There is another small Audumbar tree in my vicinity. This is what I found on its leaves. They also looked like the fruits but how can it be on the leaves. Yet  I cut open them open and there was an empty cavity. Please identify.
Regards
Bhagyashri
umb1.jpg
umb3.jpg
umb2.jpg

Madhuri Raut

Sep 22, 2011, 7:50:43 AM9/22/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Giby Kuriakose, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
I hope this is not infestation by insects?
Regards
Bhagyashri

Ushadi micromini

Sep 22, 2011, 12:13:00 PM9/22/11
to efloraofindia
yes they are, they are insect galls...

Usha di
========

On Sep 22, 4:50 pm, Madhuri Raut <itii...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope this is not infestation by insects?
> Regards
> Bhagyashri
>

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Madhuri Raut <itii...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There is another small Audumbar tree in my vicinity. This is what I found
> > on its leaves. They also looked like the fruits but how can it be on the
> > leaves. Yet  I cut open them open and there was an empty cavity. Please
> > identify.
> > Regards
> > Bhagyashri
>
> > On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Madhuri Raut <itii...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Thank you Gurcharanji. Having read about this type of inflorescence I now
> >> understand that figs and wasps are a clear example of coevolution<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coevolution>. .
> >> very interesting.
> >> Regards
> >> Bhagyashri

Madhuri Raut

Sep 22, 2011, 12:14:18 PM9/22/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thank you Ushadi
Regards
Bhagyashri

Ushadi micromini

Sep 22, 2011, 12:17:58 PM9/22/11
to efloraofindia
ps.. often a gall is enlarged cell/s of the leaf itself in reaction to
injury often by insect bites, larvae or eggs attachments... I have
seen slimy stuff around or inside some very large galls on leaves... I
personally would not dissect on one inside the house or near my
healthy plants..
not knowing plant pathology too well, I would stay away from opening
them inside the house or near my cherished plants...

Gurcharanji... are there any textbooks accounts on Galls on leaves...
or pdf file?
Thanks Ushadi

=====

On Sep 22, 4:50 pm, Madhuri Raut <itii...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope this is not infestation by insects?
> Regards
> Bhagyashri
>

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Madhuri Raut <itii...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There is another small Audumbar tree in my vicinity. This is what I found
> > on its leaves. They also looked like the fruits but how can it be on the
> > leaves. Yet  I cut open them open and there was an empty cavity. Please
> > identify.
> > Regards
> > Bhagyashri
>
> > On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Madhuri Raut <itii...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Thank you Gurcharanji. Having read about this type of inflorescence I now
> >> understand that figs and wasps are a clear example of coevolution<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coevolution>. .
> >> very interesting.
> >> Regards
> >> Bhagyashri

Madhuri Raut

Sep 22, 2011, 12:21:50 PM9/22/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
@Ushadi Thank you for the info. I cut this galls in my house not knowing what they are. So far I am surviving ha ha.
Some interesting info. When I asked the local gardner he said they eat this if someone has aphthous ulcers or glossitis. Shocking isnt it?

Regards
Bhagyashri

Neil Soares

Sep 22, 2011, 12:59:03 PM9/22/11
to Ushadi micromini, Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Hi,
 Galls are produced not only by insects [Thrips,Waspa & Flies] but even by Mites. Gallic acid produced by the above induces 'cancerous' growths on the plant within which they live and feed.
 My photographs of galls on the leaves of Umber are in this thread and my previous photographs are also in the archives of this group.
                             With regards,
                               Neil Soares.

Madhuri Raut

Sep 22, 2011, 1:37:17 PM9/22/11
to Neil Soares, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thank you Neilji
Regards
Bhagyashri

Madhuri Raut

Sep 23, 2011, 9:03:24 AM9/23/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thank you Ushadi fo providing the link for Gall pic by Neilji I was unable to do so.
@Neilji very nice pic
Regards
Bhagyashri

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Ushadi micromini <micromi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Neil:

Thanks for adding MITES and Gallic acid...
I had forgotten about Gallic acid...
that's the Gallic acid of pyrogallol etc, I guess.

I found your earlier gall picture (one of many) at this url:
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/attach/6f7e53763e32eba7/Galls+on+Wild+fig+%2C+Umber+%5BFicus+racemosa+%2C+Ficus+glomerata%5D+leaves.jpg?part=5&view=1

spectacular picture.....

But I dont see any pictures from you in this thread, did add some new
pictures?
Thanks,.

Usha di
======

On Sep 22, 10:37 pm, Madhuri Raut <itii...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you Neilji
> Regards
> Bhagyashri
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >  Galls are produced not only by insects [Thrips,Waspa & Flies] but even by
> > Mites. Gallic acid produced by the above induces 'cancerous' growths on the
> > plant within which they live and feed.
> >  My photographs of galls on the leaves of Umber are in this thread and my
> > previous photographs are also in the archives of this group.
> >                              With regards,
> >                                Neil Soares.

Ushadi micromini

Sep 23, 2011, 8:54:35 AM9/23/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Neil:

Thanks for adding MITES and Gallic acid...
I had forgotten about Gallic acid...
that's the Gallic acid of pyrogallol etc, I guess.

I found your earlier gall picture (one of many) at this url:
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/attach/6f7e53763e32eba7/Galls+on+Wild+fig+%2C+Umber+%5BFicus+racemosa+%2C+Ficus+glomerata%5D+leaves.jpg?part=5&view=1

spectacular picture.....

But I dont see any pictures from you in this thread, did add some new
pictures?
Thanks,.

Usha di
======

On Sep 22, 10:37 pm, Madhuri Raut <itii...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you Neilji
> Regards
> Bhagyashri
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >  Galls are produced not only by insects [Thrips,Waspa & Flies] but even by
> > Mites. Gallic acid produced by the above induces 'cancerous' growths on the
> > plant within which they live and feed.
> >  My photographs of galls on the leaves of Umber are in this thread and my
> > previous photographs are also in the archives of this group.
> >                              With regards,
> >                                Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Sep 23, 2011, 12:54:53 PM9/23/11
to efloraofindia, Ushadi micromini
Hi,
 My apologies. For some reason the mail did not show up. Am posting the photographs again. These are mine.
                      Regards,
                       Neil Soares.

--- On Fri, 9/23/11, Ushadi micromini <micromi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Umber with leaf galls 1.jpg
Umber with leaf galls 2.jpg
Umber with leaf galls 3.jpg
Umber with leaf galls 4.jpg

Neil Soares

Sep 23, 2011, 9:02:08 PM9/23/11
to efloraofindia, Ushadi micromini
Hi,
 Some more of my photographs of leaf galls are available at this link :

                                With regards,
                                  Neil Soares.