Red/Yellow silk cotton tree @ Yeoor

Rajesh Sachdev

Feb 17, 2009, 3:12:46 PM2/17/09
to hope...@yahoogroups.com, wild mumbai, WildFlo...@yahoogroups.com, indiantreepix
During the butterfly festival, i came across both the silk cotton
trees Red/Yellow, these both trees were very next to each other.
RSCT.jpg
YSCT.jpg

Neil Soares

Feb 17, 2009, 9:03:39 PM2/17/09
to Rajesh Sachdev, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rajesh,
   They are both Bombax insigne. The Yellow Silk Cotton Tree [Cochlospermum reliogosum] is not native to this area [and is therefore not found here in the wild unless planted].
                Regards,
                  Neil Soares.

Rajesh Sachdev

Feb 17, 2009, 11:30:04 PM2/17/09
to drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks dr. Niel, but why is there diff in colouration. If not YSCT
then which specie is it?

Regards
Rajesh Sachdev
Wildlife Activist & Photographer
Mumbai, India.

Neil Soares

Feb 18, 2009, 2:09:35 AM2/18/09
to Rajesh Sachdev, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rajesh,
  Bombax ceiba is the Red Silk Cotton Tree. A similar fast growing species B. insigne [found mainly in South India] differs from the above in having a trunk that is usually unarmed, flowers that have larger petals and many more stamens [approx. 400 as opposed to B.ceiba which have only about 75].
 Sending you a photograph of the Yellow Silk Cotton Tree [Cochlospermum religiosum] for comparison.
Yellow Silk Cotton tree flowers.jpg

oikos for ecological services

Feb 18, 2009, 2:38:57 AM2/18/09
to Neil Soares, Rajesh Sachdev, indian...@googlegroups.com
These trees create a lot of confusion.
Cochlospermum religiosum - Ganer - has yellow flowers but flowers are very different from that of red silk cotton tree. Does it produce silk cotton ? so that it can qualify as Yellow silk cotton tree.
Bombax insigne - Dew sawar - is found in Ghats too. Have seen it growing & flowering at very particular locations on western sides of Ghat roads joining Desh & Kokan in a narrow 'altitude belt'  (like Bor ghat, Kumbharli ghat, Tamhini Ghat, Varandha ghat, Poladpur) This has large flowers, long petals & long, many stamens. Various colours seen are yellow, pink, bright red, dull red, whitish.
Dew sawar flowers in Dec - Jan while Kate sawar flowers after Feb - generally.
Bombax ceiba - Kate sawar - Red silk cotton tree - is most common. Huge trees with red flowers, spiny barks & branches. Their pods have the famous silk cotton. We have seen & photographed unusual yellow variety of Bombax ceiba. Two - three trees were seen with shades ranging from yellow to pink. But one tree had all yellow flowers.

one more variety - Ceiba pentandra - popularly known & sold as Sawar - found planted in cities with green, smooth bark & white flowers, hanging green pods. This is not native to Maharashtra but always confused with Kate sawar.

Pl add if more known about these beauties.

Neil Soares

Feb 18, 2009, 5:54:54 AM2/18/09
to oikos for ecological services, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ketaki / Manasi,
   Think you have forgotten to mention the Mexican Silk Cotton Tree, also called the Floss Silk Tree [Chorisia speciosa]. The tree is common along the eastern coast of our country in Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry. It is an fast-growing,ornamental deciduous tree with a greenish bottle-shaped trunk studded with large spines and bears yellowish flowers. C.insignis [White Floss Silk Tree] is also a large tree bearing numerous beautiful flowers at first yellow, later fading to white.
                     Regards,
                       Neil Soares.

Barry Stock

Feb 18, 2009, 8:22:11 AM2/18/09
to drneil...@yahoo.com, oikos for ecological services, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Neal, et. al.,

Chorisia speciosa most usually has intensely pink flowers and a yellow throat, although the species is highly variable and there are many cultivars. It is referred to colloquially in the west as the "Pink Silk Floss Tree".

Two different cultivars:

Chorisia insignis has white flowers, and is much less common in cultivation:

Best,

Barry Stock
Hollywood, Florida, USA

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Feb 18, 2009, 8:57:39 AM2/18/09
to drneil...@yahoo.com, oikos for ecological services, indian...@googlegroups.com
Neil, chorisia speciosa (pink variety) has been taken up by Horticulture dept of Delhi on a large scale. so many roundabouts in Delhi are full of these trees laden with flowers in Oct. I thought that it was only a few decades back brought from South America. If it is native, I stand corrected.
akbhatt

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Feb 18, 2009, 9:01:01 AM2/18/09
to Neil Soares, Rajesh Sachdev, indian...@googlegroups.com
'Flowering Trees of Bangalore' has some lovely photographs of both. I am attaching it.
akbhatt

Flowering Trees of Bangalore (text only).doc