Plant for ID SMP 4Oct 2010

Satish Phadke

Oct 6, 2010, 11:04:13 AM10/6/10
to indiantreepix
Another tiny herb.For ID
Seen growing on roadside on flat top of the wall.( in Pune city.)
The imp features noticed are:
Leaves with small petiole. Size 2-3 cm. The leaf margin strikingly violet red.
Flower white with slight pink tinge.Axillary solitary.Few  mm
Petals 5. Stamens numerous.
Dr Phadke

_MG_0476s.jpg
_MG_0469s.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 6, 2010, 11:08:42 AM10/6/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Aizoaceae...? may be Sesuvium !
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Satish Phadke

Oct 6, 2010, 11:18:45 AM10/6/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Good lead about Family Aizoaceae Pankaj ji
Does it look more like Trianthema portulacastrum ?
Dr Phadke

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 6, 2010, 12:53:54 PM10/6/10
to Satish Phadke, Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
I also think Trianthema portulacastrum

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 6, 2010, 1:08:57 PM10/6/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
I think both of you are absolutely right!!! Congrats!! :)
It is supposed to be a highly medicinal plant. Lot of articles
available from across its distribution on google.
Pankaj

tanay bose

Oct 6, 2010, 7:13:41 PM10/6/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Trianthema portulacastrum
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pinki

Oct 7, 2010, 1:40:40 AM10/7/10
to efloraofindia
It is Trianthema portulacastrum. in my area (Sirsa in Haryana) and
some other parts of haryana it is calld the Gadha bel (literally
translates to Donkey climber) (though not a climber as such) because
it spreads and runs in every direction like a mindless donkey.

Alok

On Oct 6, 4:13 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Trianthema portulacastrum
> Tanay
>
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 10:38 PM, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > I think both of you are absolutely right!!! Congrats!! :)
> > It is supposed to be a highly medicinal plant. Lot of articles
> > available from across its distribution on google.
> > Pankaj
>
> > On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > I also think Trianthema portulacastrum
>
> > > --
> > > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > > Retired  Associate Professor
> > > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> > >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

> *Tanay Bose*

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 7, 2010, 1:46:27 AM10/7/10
to Pinki, efloraofindia
Alok ji
Thanks for this interesting information.