2 pictures for id

Chithra V

Oct 19, 2009, 12:38:02 AM10/19/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Can someone please identify the plant in the picture?
Chithra

IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG

Stephen A

Oct 19, 2009, 12:45:08 AM10/19/09
to Chithra V, indian...@googlegroups.com
Check Basella alba.

Regards,

Stephen...
--
Think about the Environment before printing this e-mail! ü
+----------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------+

Satish Phadke

Oct 19, 2009, 3:24:30 AM10/19/09
to Chithra V, indian...@googlegroups.com
Mayalu : a vegetable plant climber.
Basella rubra
Discussed in an earlier thread.
http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/411569e6a20e741c/1bc2f6996178aab0?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=mayalu#1bc2f6996178aab0
Regards
Satish Phadke

2009/10/19 Chithra V <chith...@gmail.com>

Hi,
Can someone please identify the plant in the picture?
Chithra

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

Chithra V

Oct 19, 2009, 7:14:50 AM10/19/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone for helping me with the id-ying.
Chithra

Chithra V

Oct 19, 2009, 7:16:35 AM10/19/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, one more question are rubra and alba one and the same - somehow I have been associating rubra with red and alba with white (wherever I have come across these names)
Chithra

Tabish

Oct 19, 2009, 1:01:03 PM10/19/09
to indiantreepix
The correct botanical name is Basella alba var. rubra. The normal
white-flowered plant is Basella alba. There is a red-flowered and red-
stemmed variant of this plant, which you have photographed, called
Basella alba var. rubra.
It is commonly called Malabar Spinach. Is popular among Bengalis as
Poi shaak.
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Malabar%20Spinach.html
- Tabish

Pankaj Oudhia

Oct 19, 2009, 3:00:23 PM10/19/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Poi is used in treatment of Pathri (Renal Calculi) in Traditional Healing.

http://www.botanical.com/site/column_poudhia/62_pathri.html

[Same article with new comments,  2005 onwards, is available in Ecoport]

Pankaj Oudhia

Pardeshi S.

Oct 20, 2009, 1:16:19 AM10/20/09
to indiantreepix
Hello all

it is
Basella alba var. cordifolia (Lamk.) Almeida, Fl. Mah. 4: 217, 2003.
Synonyms:
B. cordifolia Lamk. var. rubra Voight, Hort. Suburb. Cal. 322, 1845.
B. cordifolia Lamk., Encyclop. 1: 382, 1785.
B. rubra L. Sp. Pl. 272, 1753; Hook. f., Fl. Brit. India 5: 20, 1886;
Cooke, Fl. Pres. Bombay 2: 594, 1958 (Repr.).
B. alba var. rubra (L.) Stewart, Punjab, Pl. 177, 1869.
B. alba Sensu. Van steenis. Fl. Malas., 5: 300, 1957 (p.p., non L.,
1753).
Common name: Mayaki Bhaji

regards
Satish Pardesih