Flowering Plant ID-11-080-08- Delhi Terrace Garden

Sushmita Jha

Aug 10, 2008, 11:07:25 PM8/10/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
I would appreciate an ID for the enclosed photos. This plant has been blooming since about a month in my terrace garden.
Thank you.
Sushmita
Flower,-Plant-ID-Aug08-Delh.jpg
Flower-ID-Delhi-Aug08.jpg

Mahadeswara Swamy

Aug 11, 2008, 12:45:45 AM8/11/08
to Sushmita Jha, indian...@googlegroups.com
The plant is Turnaria ulmifolia (Turneraceae).  It is a weed.  Please check for the updates on name. I think it is an introduced plant.  Whenever it rains in Chennai, the plant comes up in wastelands, roadside etc.   It has many medicinal uses.
Dr. Mahadeswara swamy

Mahadeswara Swamy

Aug 11, 2008, 12:55:09 AM8/11/08
to Mahadeswara Swamy, Sushmita Jha, indian...@googlegroups.com
Please correct the botanical name as Turnera subulata .
Dr. Mahadeswara swamy

J.M. Garg

Aug 11, 2008, 10:15:54 AM8/11/08
to Mahadeswara Swamy, Sushmita Jha, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Mahadeswara ji for the Id. Here is a very good link for Turnera subulata, white alder with few pictures: http://www.hear.org/pier/species/turnera_subulata.htm

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

Nudrat

Aug 12, 2008, 7:22:10 AM8/12/08
to indiantreepix
I dont think the plant in picture is Turnera ulmifolia bcos if u look
at the arrangement of the stamens and the stigma it seems to belong to
family Malvaceae or allied family. The arrangement of stamen and
stigma is very different in Turnera.

On Aug 11, 7:15 pm, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Mahadeswara ji for the Id. Here is a very good link for *Turnera
> subulata*, *white alder* with few pictures:http://www.hear.org/pier/species/turnera_subulata.htm
>
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Mahadeswara Swamy <swamy_c...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>

> >   The plant is Turnaria ulmifolia (Turneraceae).  It is a weed.  Please
> > check for the updates on name. I think it is an introduced plant.  Whenever
> > it rains in Chennai, the plant comes up in wastelands, roadside etc.   It
> > has many medicinal uses.
> > Dr. Mahadeswara swamy

Sushmita Jha

Aug 12, 2008, 8:01:35 AM8/12/08
to Nudrat, indiantreepix
I have just gone to the url sent by Mr Garg for Turnera Subulata - the one in my garden is certainly not Subulata. Any links to ulmifolia?

J.M. Garg

Aug 12, 2008, 10:08:53 AM8/12/08
to Sushmita Jha, Nudrat, indiantreepix
Then it can be Turnera ulmifolia 'Elegans', as it matches with the description in "tropical Garden Plants' by Bose, Chowdhury & Sharma. Here is a link for its picture: http://tropicalplant.air-nifty.com/photos/uncategorized/turnera_ulmifolia_elegans1s.jpg
You can also see the first picture at link: http://images.google.co.in/images?hl=en&q=Turnera%20ulmifolia%20%2B%20Elegans&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi