Names of Plants in India :: Tamil name of Jasminum flexile

Dinesh Valke

Oct 3, 2016, 11:42:53 AM10/3/16
to efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman
Dear friends and Vijayasankar ji,
Please help me with the name irampanam mullai in Tamil script ... ref: ENVIS-FRLHT

Regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar Raman

Oct 6, 2016, 4:34:25 PM10/6/16
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji,

I think "irampanam" is not a Tamil word (or at least I don't know!). Google search shows that it is a name of a place in Kerala. So it could be a Malayalam name.
Mullai (the name usually applied to Jasminum auriculatum) is written as முல்லை
--
Vijayasankar

Vijayasankar Raman
Research Scientist
University of Mississippi, USA

Dinesh Valke

Oct 7, 2016, 9:23:24 AM10/7/16
to Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia
OK, thanks very much, Vijayasankar ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Oct 7, 2016, 1:09:23 PM10/7/16
to Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia
Hi Vijayasankar ji, I found an entry of ramabanam mullai in The Useful Plants of India published by NISCAIR. Does it help to arrive to any valid spelling ?
Regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar Raman

Oct 11, 2016, 11:53:15 AM10/11/16
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Yes, Dinesh ji!
Ramabanam mullai may be written as இராமபாணம் முல்லை.
Although 'இ' is prefixed in the Tamil version of 'Ramabanam', it is not usually transcribed as 'I-ramabanam'.
The name 'irampanam', which you mentioned in your first email had 'p'-anam instead of 'b'-anam changing the meaning from arrow ('banam', பாணம்) to drink ('panam' பானம்).

Dinesh Valke

Oct 11, 2016, 12:03:32 PM10/11/16
to Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Vijayasankar ji ! Great help !!
Will put this name இராமபாணம் முல்லை ramabanam mullai in the database, soon.
Regards.
Dinesh