Fwd: id please!

Dr.Gautam Joglekar

Apr 3, 2008, 1:09:47 AM4/3/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dr.Gautam Joglekar <gautam...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 11:53 PM
Subject: id please!
To: indian...@googlegroups.cpm

Dear all,

This is Gautam Joglekar.

I am an ammetuer wildlife photographer.

I found this lovely inflorescence while on a trail to the Godrej Mangrove Conservation Reserve.

Can I have the scientific id for the flower??

cheers,

Gautam.

pink flower.jpg

Tejal Dhulla Vishweshwar

Apr 3, 2008, 4:04:38 AM4/3/08
to indiantreepix
Dear Dr. Gautam,

This is Silver cockscomb,Celosia argentea  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celosia_argentea

Regards,
Tejal
unless the principle of non-violence becomes
central to the ethics of human culture." - Mahatma Gandhi

Vasant Barve

Apr 3, 2008, 7:21:53 AM4/3/08
to Dr.Gautam Joglekar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dr. Joglekar,

This weed is common in kharif (mansoon) season. In the crop of bajara this weed will always be there. It is a shrub growing to about  feet. buffellows consume it. It yields smaller than mustered, black round seeds. In Nashik it is known as Kurdu or kombada.

--
Dr. Vasant Barve
# 9 Sneha Nagar 1st Cross, Amrutahalli, Main

Mahadeswara Swamy

Apr 3, 2008, 8:26:55 AM4/3/08
to Tejal Dhulla Vishweshwar, treepix Indian
I am sure it is not silver cockscomb. Wait for the proper identification.
Dr. Mahadeswara swamy

Bring your gang together - do your thing. Start your group.

Ravi Vaidyanathan

Apr 3, 2008, 1:09:05 PM4/3/08
to Dr.Gautam Joglekar, Mahadeswara Swamy, Tejal Dhulla Vishweshwar, treepix Indian
Hope this id helps

Ravi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/naturezone/246439848/in/set-72157594289333006/
--
///\\
(@ @)

Tejal Dhulla Vishweshwar

Apr 12, 2008, 5:45:14 AM4/12/08
to indiantreepix
I have always known it as Celosia argentea (silver-spiked cockscomb)

check these links too;

-Tejal