[efloraofindia:33781] Acacia chundra

Devendra Bhardwaj

May 2, 2010, 10:06:29 AM5/2/10
to indiantreepix
Scientific Name Acacia chundra
Other Scientific Names Acacia catechu var. sundra (Roxb.) Duthie
Acacia sundra (Roxb.) DC.
Mimosa sundra Roxb.
Common Names Kaiger Kher
Photo taken at  Mehengi,Jamwa ramgarh Sanctury,Jaipur,Rajastan, India
Date 26.4.2010
Regards,Devendra Bhardwaj

Acacia chundra.jpg

tanay bose

May 2, 2010, 10:28:35 AM5/2/10
to Devendra Bhardwaj, indiantreepix
Lovely photo an presentation Devendra ji
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Nayan Singh

May 2, 2010, 11:11:58 PM5/2/10
to Devendra Bhardwaj, indiantreepix
Dear Devendra,
I am little bit confused with its id, are you sure it is Acacia chundra and not Acacia catechu.
In the year 1994, when I was DFO Narvada Velly Development Authority, we use to plant these two species. I think the new shoots (branchlets) in Acacia chundra is is always dark brown or red, that's why it is called Lal Khair (red khair).
 Thanks
Nayan.
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

May 11, 2010, 10:18:11 AM5/11/10
to efloraofindia
better you confirm this
Acacia ferruginea(L.) Willd Local name - Kagar khair

Dr Amit Kotia

> Sir,
>    It is certainly A chundra .I am sending two more photos. the bark of chndra and catechu entirely differ. one gland on the petiole of chundra.
> Regard
> Devendra
>

> ________________________________

Gurcharan Singh

May 11, 2010, 11:12:57 AM5/11/10
to amit, efloraofindia
Dear members
Not A. ferruginea atleast, which has 4-6 pairs of pinnae and 15-30 pairs of leaflets. I think we have to choose between A. catechu and A. chundra which have 10-20 pairs of pinnae and 30-50 pairs if leaflets as seen in this plant.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

May 11, 2010, 11:43:20 AM5/11/10
to amit, efloraofindia
I just had critical look at description of Mimosa sundra and M. catechu in Flora Indica of Roxburgh. According to it both have dark brown bark. The only two clear differences are prickles decurrent at base and 2-3 seeded lanceolate pods in M. sundra; M. catechu does not have decurrent prickles and most importantly pods are linear and 6-8 seeded.

Pardeshi S.

May 12, 2010, 10:48:01 AM5/12/10
to efloraofindia
Hello all it is Acacia chundra

Regards

On May 11, 8:43 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just had critical look at description of Mimosa sundra and M. catechu in
> Flora Indica of Roxburgh. According to it both have dark brown bark. The
> only two clear differences are prickles decurrent at base and 2-3 seeded
> lanceolate pods in M. sundra; M. catechu does not have decurrent prickles
> and most importantly pods are linear and 6-8 seeded.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear members
> > Not A. ferruginea atleast, which has 4-6 pairs of pinnae and 15-30 pairs of
> > leaflets. I think we have to choose between A. catechu and A. chundra which
> > have 10-20 pairs of pinnae and 30-50 pairs if leaflets as seen in this
> > plant.
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

> >> .
> >> groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.

> >> groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.

> >> groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.

> >> --
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

May 30, 2010, 12:22:12 AM5/30/10
to efloraofindia, Devendra Bhardwaj, TANAY BOSE, Nayan Singh, Muthu Karthick, rashida atthar
Resurfacing again for ID confirmation

Earlier feedback

Acacia chundra (most likely) or A. catechu

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Other Scientific Names Acacia catechu var. sundra (Roxb.) Duthie
Acacia sundra (Roxb.) DC.
Mimosa sundra Roxb.
Common Names Kaiger Kher
Photo taken at  Mehengi,Jamwa ramgarh Sanctury,Jaipur,Rajastan, India
Date 26.4.2010
Regards,Devendra Bhardwaj

dkb-37.jpg
dkb-37a.jpg