[efloraofindia:32477] Capparis Sp.??170410-PKA1

Prashant awale

Apr 17, 2010, 6:54:21 AM4/17/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Came across this Capparis sp. at the hills of CBD Belapur. Kindly help me in Identification..

Botanical name:

Capparis sp??

Family:

Capparaceae

Date/Time-

17-04-2010 /08:55 AM

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

CBD Belapur Hill (Navi Mumbai), 400 ft

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

Shrub

Height/Length-

Approx. 2.5 to 3m high

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

 Alternate, 3 to 5cm, elliptic, some leaves were seen with small “V” notch at the apex , petioles: around  8 to 10 mm,

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

2 to 3 cm, white, stamens  many,  Gynophore stalk shorter than Stamens

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

regards
Prashant..

IMG_6579.jpg
IMG_6573.jpg
IMG_6576.jpg
IMG_6577.jpg
IMG_6578.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Apr 17, 2010, 7:09:23 AM4/17/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
... would it be Capparis rotundifolia ?
Regards.

Prashant awale

Apr 17, 2010, 7:29:16 AM4/17/10
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Dear Dinesh,
I also thought so, but if you see the Gynophore, it is some what shorter than the stamens..
regards
Prashant

tanay bose

Apr 17, 2010, 11:47:36 AM4/17/10
to Prashant awale, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Dear Prasant Ji,

Capparis sepiaria can be option when you are suggesting the gynophores are smaller than anther. Kindly validate!!

Regards

Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Muthu Karthick

Apr 19, 2010, 3:53:13 AM4/19/10
to tanay bose, Prashant awale, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix

Hi all,
This shrub is Capparis sepiaria L. of Capparidaceae.

Tamil Name: Kaarindu, Karunjurai, Kattu Kathiri, Kokki mullu
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Dinesh Valke

Apr 19, 2010, 4:53:58 AM4/19/10
to Muthu Karthick, tanay bose, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
... did look like C. sepiaria to me too ... but the flower size here, is larger than normal.
Regards.

Prashant awale

Apr 19, 2010, 7:18:33 AM4/19/10
to Dinesh Valke, Muthu Karthick, tanay bose, indiantreepix
How about C. grandis? I had only read about this sp. but never seen...
regards
Prashant.

tanay bose

Apr 19, 2010, 7:58:19 AM4/19/10
to Prashant awale, Dinesh Valke, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Dear All,
I am adding the description of Capparis grandis from the Forest Flora of Hyderabad State - by M Sharfuddin Khan.

Capparis grandis, Linn. ; F.B.I. I-176. Brandi's Ind. Trees, 34. Gamble's Ind. Timbers, 53. Vern. Regoti, Remide, Tel. Pachonda, Mar.

----- A small tree, generally unarmed ; trunk thick, short, branchlets and leaves softly tomentose beneath. Bark thick extremely irregular rough and corky, deeply and irregularly cracked. Leaves 2-3 by 1 1/2-2 inches, rhomboid, ovate or obovate ; secondary nerves 8-10 pairs, distinct, as well as the reticulate tertiary nerves between ; petiole 1/2 - 2/3 in. Flowers white, 3/4-1 in. diam. in many flowered terminal corymbos or racemes ; pedicels thick, tomentose, 1 in. long. Fruit purple, the size of nutmeg.

----- Wood white or greyish-white, moderately hard, durable. Sparingly found in Aurangabad district ; elsewhere fairly common. Flowers during the rainy season.

Regards
Tanay

Dinesh Valke

Apr 19, 2010, 8:54:33 AM4/19/10
to tanay bose, Prashant awale, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
... most of the description of C. grandis seems to agree, but not the colour of leaves: olive green as seen in Satish (Phadke) ji's photo at http://www.indianaturewatch.net/displayimage.php?id=43745

Attaching description screenshots of Capparis and C. grandis from T. Cooke's The Flora of the Presidency of Bombay Vol. I, Part I ... for more on other species of Capparis: http://www.archive.org/stream/floraofpresidenc01cook#page/44/mode/2up
Capparis.jpg
C_grandis.jpg

tanay bose

Apr 19, 2010, 9:09:49 AM4/19/10
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
thank you Dineah ji, the leaf characters also doesnot satisfy me .... from the description of the plant you provided.
Regards
tanay

Prashant awale

Apr 20, 2010, 3:22:43 AM4/20/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Thnaks Tanay ji, Dinesh ji, Muthu ji for the ID (Capparis sepiaria ).

regards
Prashant

tanay bose

Apr 20, 2010, 7:51:11 AM4/20/10
to Prashant awale, Dinesh Valke, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
WELCOME PRASANT JI NOW I AM CONFIDENT AND SURE AFTER LOOKING AT THE IMAGES OF RASHIDA JI
REGARDS
TANAY