Caesalpinia pulcherima

sibdas ghosh

Dec 5, 2008, 9:09:21 AM12/5/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
In Benagali it is known as Krishnachurha, as it looks like the Crown
of Lord Krishna. More Often Delonix regia is also erroneously called
Krishnachurha, which is actually Gulmohr.
Krishnachura.JPG

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Dec 5, 2008, 11:03:10 AM12/5/08
to sibdas ghosh, indian...@googlegroups.com
There are two colours of the flower: pink and yellow, known respectively as Krishnachuda and Radhachuda.. Yours looks like Krishna chuda inspite of yellow tinges here and there.
akbhatt

sibdas ghosh

Dec 5, 2008, 11:18:54 AM12/5/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, indian...@googlegroups.com
Caesalpinia is a shrub to small tree, but Radhachura (Peltophorum ferrugineum ) is a tall plant with bright yellow flowers, resembling some what Delonix regia and Colvillea racemosa. Radhachura is also known as Copper pod, for the persistent pods which when  dry take copper colour> It is no doubt Caesalpinia.the flowers are generally with yellow tinges here and there.

--
Sibdas Ghosh

Rajesh Sachdev

Dec 6, 2008, 12:09:22 AM12/6/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
In Mumbai, the common name of this flower is Shankasur. It is urban flower in blooms throuought the year.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Dec 6, 2008, 4:57:48 AM12/6/08
to Rajesh Sachdev, figtree, indian...@googlegroups.com
I am a little confused. Copper pod or Peltophorum is an entiirely different tree, whereas both Krishnachuda and Radhachuda are bushes, with difference in floweer colour only. This is based on cursory observation by me in the gardens, and when caesalpinia grows wild, as in several places. Next time when I seee caesalpinia in a garden or growing naturally, I will observe more closely an will let you know. But I am not conviced that Radhachuda is peltophorum.
I just checked Bose and Choudhury's book. Caesalpinia pulcherrima has petals variously coloured at the centre, crimson, red or golden red. C. pulcherrima flava is a variety with bright yellow flowers, and C. pulcherrima Rosea is a variety with rosy red flowers. It has 3 photographs, with red-gold, yellow and rose red flowers.
Best wishes,
akbhatt

Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.

J.M. Garg

Dec 6, 2008, 8:18:18 AM12/6/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Rajesh Sachdev, figtree, indian...@googlegroups.com
As per 'Beautiful Trees & shrubs of Kolkata' by Chakravorty & Jain, Peltophorum pterocarpum (syn. P. ferrugineum) is since being called as Radhachura, which actually refers to the var. flava (Yellow-flowered) of Caesalpinia pulcherrima

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Dec 6, 2008, 9:16:57 AM12/6/08
to Rajesh Sachdev, figtree, indian...@googlegroups.com
I am a little confued. Copper pod or Peltophorum is an entiirely different tree, whereas both Krishnachuda and Radhachuda are bushes, with difference in floweer colour only. This is based on cursory observation by me in the gaaardens, and when caesalppinia grows wild, as in several places. Next time when I seee caesalpinia in a gaaarden or growing naturally, I will obsserve more closely an will let you know. But I am not conviced that Radhachuda is peltophorum.
I just checked Bose and Choudhury's book. Caesalpi

Mahendra Prasad

Dec 12, 2008, 3:03:18 AM12/12/08
to Rajesh Sachdev, figtree, Anand Kumar Bhatt, indian...@googlegroups.com
In Bengal Peltophorum pterocarpum, Copper Pod is referred to as Radhachura, whether in error or not I cannot say.  Same for Delonix regia referred to as Krishnachura as mentioned by Sibdas.

--- On Sat, 6/12/08, Anand Kumar Bhatt <anand...@gmail.com> wrote:

Get your own website and domain for just Rs.1,999/year.* Click here!