Celosia

sibdas ghosh

Feb 17, 2010, 11:28:31 AM2/17/10
to indiantreepix
Two horticultural vars. of Celosia
Photo taken on 29th Jan 2010- From Flower Show at EDen gardens Kolkata,
Organized by the Forest Depat.
DSCF0191.JPG

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Feb 17, 2010, 7:05:26 PM2/17/10
to sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
are you sure they are coleus?
ak

Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
My blogsite is at:
http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
And the photo site:
www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ten most  common surnames of Indians: Singh, Kumar, Sharma,Patel, Shah, Lal, Gupta, Bhat, Rao, Reddy. Cheers!

Pardeshi S.

Feb 17, 2010, 11:12:10 PM2/17/10
to efloraofindia
Bhatt ji they are Celosia varieties as rightly stated by Sibdas ji

the red one being Celosia argentea L. f. var. cristata (L.) O. Ktze.
the yellow one being Celosia argentea L. f. var. aurea Voight

these were displayed during the flower show in Mumbai last week. i ill
post the link later once i upload all the pic on picasa or other
portal.

Regards
Satish Pardeshi

On Feb 18, 5:05 am, Anand Kumar Bhatt <anandkbh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> are you sure they are coleus?
> ak
>

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 9:58 PM, sibdas ghosh <sibdasgh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Two horticultural vars. of Celosia
> > Photo taken on 29th Jan 2010- From Flower Show at EDen gardens Kolkata,
> > Organized by the Forest Depat.

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 17, 2010, 11:56:08 PM2/17/10
to Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
Satish Ji
To my mind both should be var. plumosa, but if you think yellow one should be var. aurea, then red one should be var. plumosa. Cocks comb, var cristata is different with condensed crown like inflorescence.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Feb 19, 2010, 10:24:43 AM2/19/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
Thanks. My confusion that they were named as coleus.
ak

J.M. Garg

Mar 11, 2010, 3:37:28 AM3/11/10
to efloraofindia, sibdas, satish pardeshi, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, Dinesh Valke

Earlier relevant feedback:

“Bhatt ji they are Celosia varieties as rightly stated by Sibdas ji

the red one being Celosia argentea L. f. var. cristata (L.) O. Ktze.
the yellow one being Celosia argentea L. f. var. aurea Voight

these were displayed during the flower show in Mumbai last week. i ill
post the link later once i upload all the pic on picasa or other

portal.” from Satish Pardeshi ji.

http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Cockscomb%20Plumed.html

http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Cockscomb%20Crested.html

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

DSCF0191.JPG

J.M. Garg

Mar 11, 2010, 4:42:31 AM3/11/10
to efloraofindia, sibdas, satish pardeshi, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, Dinesh Valke
A reply:

Celosia argentea var. cristata is currently divided into four different groups: (1) Plumosa Group, (2) Cristata Group (see B728 herein), (3) Childsii Group and (4) Spicata Group.
http://forum.geomancy.net/phpforum/article.php?bid=2&fid=19&mid=27045&new=
it mentions yellow var. as "emperor'
also see
http://www.calyxflowers.com/Floral-Library/Content/Cockscomb.aspx
Regards
Satish Pardeshi"

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 11, 2010, 5:42:45 AM3/11/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, sibdas, satish pardeshi, Tabish, Dinesh Valke
Garg ji and Satish ji
The third link above confirms what I was trying to point out. var. cristata has inflorescence like cockscomb or brain, var. plumosa yellow or red has plume (feather like) inflorescence.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor