Casuarina equisetifolia (Whistling Pine/ Vilaiti Jhau/Casuarina etc.)

J.M. Garg

Jul 20, 2007, 5:01:44 AM7/20/07
to indiantreepix
It's graceful cluster of trees looks so lovely along the sea shores swaying with the wind. Though it looks like Pines, but it is not a Pine tree. It has adapted itself with minute (hardly visible) scale like leaves at the joints of twigs (pine like needles). Male (rusty brown spikes at the end of brachlets- not shown here) & Female flowers (untidy red threads in axils) are generally on different plants. It is also seen commonly in the Parks & Gardens in Kolkata, adding to their grace. I have seen nests of Greater Coucal & Shikra on this tree. Pictures taken at Central Park, Kolkata.
For more information, please click the link below:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casuarina

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For learning about our trees & plants, please visit http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en
Bark I IMG_2822.jpg
Fruit I IMG_2823.jpg
Tree I IMG_2819.jpg
Twigs & Fruits I IMG_2795.jpg
Twigs with Female flowers I IMG_2796.jpg