Acacia polycantha Willd.

Rashida Atthar

Jun 30, 2010, 9:19:38 AM6/30/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Saw  Acacia polycantha  ( Acacia suma) as per Cooke's flora, at Yeoor part of the national park on 27 June 10.   As per Dr. Almeida's flora it is a   middle sized tree, bark white, young shoots downy .  Stipular spines short, straight or slightly hooked. Pods are described to have a triangular apex.  All characteristics matching.  Hope Id is correct.

regards,
Rashida.
Acacia polycantha flowers leaves.JPG
Acacia polycantha flower spikes.JPG
A polycantha stipular spines .JPG
A polycantha pods triangular beak at apex .JPG
Acacia polycantha white bark.JPG

tanay bose

Jun 30, 2010, 9:28:27 AM6/30/10
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rashida ji,
Hope you made a typographical error the will be corrected as "Acacia polyacantha Willd."
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Rashida Atthar

Jun 30, 2010, 9:38:53 AM6/30/10
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tanay ji, it is A. Polycantha in Dr. Almeida's flora, but if it is widely spelled as you have mentioned, than  I stand corrected.

regards,
Rashida.

Satish Phadke

Jun 30, 2010, 11:13:46 AM6/30/10
to Rashida Atthar, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes this is what I believe as Acacia suma.
I suppose this has now been included in Acacia catechu.
Dr Phadke

Rashida Atthar

Jun 30, 2010, 11:20:31 AM6/30/10
to Satish Phadke, tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com
No Satish ji, not in Dr. Almeida's flora, it is separate, the perennial variation in both the floras!! But the bark and flowers are different of A. catechu, so how can they be included together?

regards,
Rashida.