wild bush for id please

dimple bhati

Feb 12, 2010, 6:39:33 AM2/12/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This bush grows 5 to 6 ft high & attract awful lot of butterflies like common crows, striped & blue tiger. I have seen it growing near the dried nallas & by the road sides of small hills of balaghat MP please id it. Cheers dimple.
IMG_3598.JPG

Neil Soares

Feb 12, 2010, 7:59:40 AM2/12/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, dimple bhati
Hi Ms.Bhati,
  It is a Vernonia sp. possibly V.divergens.
                   With regards,
                     Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Feb 12, 2010, 8:14:24 AM2/12/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, dimple bhati
Hi,
 Sending my photographs of Vernonia acuminatum [V.divergens] locally called Bondar / Bundar.
                   With regards,
                     Neil Soares.

--- On Fri, 2/12/10, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Vernonia acuminatum [V. divergens] 1.jpg
Vernonia acuminatum [V. divergens] 2.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 12, 2010, 8:47:08 AM2/12/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com, dimple bhati
Nil ji
It has to be acuminata and not acuminatum

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Neil Soares

Feb 12, 2010, 11:32:14 AM2/12/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com, dimple bhati
Thanks Prof.Singh. This was identified by Dr.Almeida and I am quoting from his book 'Flora of Maharashtra'  Vol 3A. [One of its previous synonyms was also Eupatorium acuminatum].
                           Regards,
                             Neil.

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 13, 2010, 5:23:25 AM2/13/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com, dimple bhati
Neil ji
acuminatum is al-right for genus Eupatorium, but acuminata for Vernonia. They orthographic variants to go with the genus.