Silene vulgaris from Kashmir

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 23, 2010, 9:53:36 PM8/23/10
to efloraofindia
Silene vulgaris (Moench) Garcke from Kashmir, common found as weed locally mostly in shaded areas. Photographed from Pahalgam on June 20, 2010

Local names:
English: Bladder campion

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Silene-vulgaris-Kashmir-a.jpg
Silene-vulgaris-Kashmir-b.jpg
Silene-vulgaris-Kashmir-c.jpg
Silene-vulgaris-Kashmir-d.jpg

tanay bose

Aug 23, 2010, 10:02:05 PM8/23/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
The close up is just superb.
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Nayan Singh

Aug 24, 2010, 1:30:04 AM8/24/10
to tanay bose, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Gurcharan Singh ji for posting four sp of Silene, during my visit of higher Hilamaya I photographed one Silene sp and thought it is Silene edgeworthii, your posting helped me in its correct id. I am attaching some pics of that, photographed on 9-8-2010 near Niti area of Garhwal Himalaya in Uttarakhand, hope Id is correct.
Thanks again, please confirm the ID
Thanks and Regards.
Nayan.
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Aug 24, 2010, 5:13:10 AM8/24/10
to Shrikant Ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Thanks shrikant ji,
thanks a lot for id, to me it looks similar to Gurcharan ji's S. vulgari, I don't have id key for these sp. Please can you inform me how do differentiate these two sp.?
Thanks and regards.
Nayan.
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Aug 24, 2010, 10:21:04 AM8/24/10
to Nayan Singh, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Nayan ji
Silene edgeworthii is distinct from S. vulgaris (formerly Silene inflata) in that former has 5 (rarely 4) styles and fimbriate petals  whereas  latter has 3 styles and deeply bilobed petals. You can clearly see three styles and deeply lobed petals in atleast two of my flowers. In that respect your plant looks different: style number is not clear (you may try to count by enlarging your original photographs). I also find your having less exserted petals, but petals don't look fimbriate. Perhaps we have to see authentic speciments of S. edgeworthii to decide the true identity of your plant.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

J.M. Garg

Oct 2, 2010, 3:32:54 AM10/2/10
to efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Gurcharan Singh, Nayan Singh

Earlier relevant feedback:

“Nayanji, this I suppose is S. inflata unless this name is superceeded. Regards, Shrikant”

Silene edgeworthii is distinct from S. vulgaris (formerly Silene inflata) in that former has 5 (rarely 4) styles and fimbriate petals  whereas  latter has 3 styles and deeply bilobed petals. You can clearly see three styles and deeply lobed petals in atleast two of my flowers. In that respect your plant looks different: style number is not clear (you may try to count by enlarging your original photographs). I also find your having less exserted petals, but petals don't look fimbriate. Perhaps we have to see authentic speciments of S. edgeworthii to decide the true identity of your plant.

--

Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

--
With regards,