Gamhar (White/Kashmir Teak/Sewan)- Gmelina arborea

J.M. Garg

Jul 17, 2007, 1:23:38 AM7/17/07
to indiantreepix
Pics. taken at Nature Park, Kolkata in Feb.'07. It's leaves may be confusing with Peepal, whose leaves are shiny, firm & leathery with long pointy tails at its apices. It's leaves are not shiny but dull & velvety & paler below. Old bark (not shown) is ashy grey flaking off in large plates. Fruit (not shown) is olive size-> green turning yellow on ripening. Its wood is light but strong & used for furniture, doors, carvings etc.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For learning about our trees & plants, please visit http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en
Bark I IMG_3543.jpg
Flower I IMG_3541.jpg
Flowering at Canopy I IMG_3456.jpg
Leaves I IMG_3458.jpg

Alka Vaidya

Jul 17, 2007, 5:25:46 AM7/17/07
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Hello,
     Here is a pic of Gmelina with fruits.
 Alka Vaidya

Alka Vaidya

Jul 17, 2007, 5:26:49 AM7/17/07
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
sorry to attach pic,
Alka

Gmelina arboria.jpg

Dr Satish Phadke

Jul 17, 2007, 10:35:31 AM7/17/07
to indiantreepix
We call it SHIVAN in marathi. There are quite a few trees here around
Pune city esp. near Sinhgad
Satish Phadke

> Bark I IMG_3543.jpg
> 175KViewDownload
>
> Flower I IMG_3541.jpg
> 162KViewDownload
>
> Flowering at Canopy I IMG_3456.jpg
> 214KViewDownload
>
> Leaves I IMG_3458.jpg
> 168KViewDownload

Ravi Vaidyanathan

Jul 25, 2007, 4:23:21 AM7/25/07
to Dr Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All

A pic that I had uploaded on Flickr long time back of the flowers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/naturezone/246441709/

Ravi