ID request-150810-PKA1

Prashant awale

Aug 15, 2010, 2:02:19 AM8/15/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Came across this erect herb with Pinnate leaves on the way to Prabalgad. Could this be some Cassia sp??

Date/Time: 14-08-2010 / 12:35 PM

Location: Thakurwadi, at the base of Prabalgad.

Habitat: wild

Plant Habit: Erect Herb, Approx 35 to 40cm in height.

Leaves Pinnate, leaflets having sharp point at the apex.

Flower: Yellow with 5 petals

regards
Prashant
Unid-Prabal-3.jpg
Unid-Prabal-4.jpg
Unid-Prabal-1.jpg
Unid-Prabal-2.jpg

tanay bose

Aug 15, 2010, 2:10:51 AM8/15/10
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Cassia or senna for sure not confident of the species.
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Vijayasankar

Aug 15, 2010, 2:58:05 AM8/15/10
to tanay bose, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Yes, it is now Chamaecrista. More details, like nature of glands, will help to id the species.

With regards

Vijayasankar

shrikant ingalhalikar

Aug 15, 2010, 9:42:41 AM8/15/10
to efloraofindia
Cassia pumila. Leaflets would be 10-20 pairs. Regards, Shriikant
>  Unid-Prabal-3.jpg
> 192KViewDownload
>
>  Unid-Prabal-4.jpg
> 198KViewDownload
>
>  Unid-Prabal-1.jpg
> 147KViewDownload
>
>  Unid-Prabal-2.jpg
> 180KViewDownload

Prashant awale

Aug 15, 2010, 10:44:39 AM8/15/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Dear Shrikant ji,

Thanks for the ID.
Leaflets were 7 pairs as against 10-20 pairs mentioned by you. I checked up with efloraofpakistan (  http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=200012030  ). It mentions 6 to 25 pairs.

regards
Prashant

Sweedle Cerejo

Aug 16, 2010, 3:32:30 AM8/16/10
to Prashant awale, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Hello All!

            There is only one species of Cassia L. that has imparipinnate leaves and that is Cassia kolabensis Kothari, Moorthy et Nair. This is probably the same one.

Regards,
Sweedle Cerejo
Research Fellow
St. Xavier's College
Mumbai 400001

"The more our world functions like the natural world, the more likely we are to endure on this home that is ours, but not ours alone."
~ Janine Benyus

Sweedle Cerejo

Aug 16, 2010, 3:38:22 AM8/16/10
to Prashant awale, shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Hello once again!

               Just an addition - Only one species of Cassia L. with imparipinnate leaves when one considers the Flora of Maharashtra.

Tabish

Aug 19, 2010, 5:27:23 AM8/19/10
to efloraofindia
I think this plant needs some further thinking.
Flora of Pakistan says that Cassia pumila has 6-25 pairs of leaflets,
and doesn't talk about any terminal leaflet. This plant with large
terminal leaflet, then cannot be Cassia pumila.
Cassia kolabensis, on the other hand, is supposed to have 5-9
leaflets, too far away from the 17 or so leaflets seen here. But
curiously a pdf file mailed to me by Prashant shows a drawing of
Cassia kolabensis where 13 leaflets are also seen! Apart from the
number of leaflets, the description of Cassia kolabensis agrees very
well with the plant here, including the needle-like point at the end
of the leaflets and the terminal leaflet being larger and of different
shape.
By the way, the current name is Chamaecrista kolabensis.
- Tabish

On Aug 16, 12:38 pm, Sweedle Cerejo <sweedle.cer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello once again!
>
>                Just an addition - Only one species of *Cassia* L. with
> imparipinnate leaves when one considers the Flora of Maharashtra.
>
> Regards,
> Sweedle Cerejo
> Research Fellow
> St. Xavier's College
> Mumbai 400001
>
> "The more our world functions like the natural world, the more likely we are
> to endure on this home that is ours, but not ours alone."
> ~ Janine Benyus
>
> On 16 August 2010 13:02, Sweedle Cerejo <sweedle.cer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello All!
>
> >             There is only one species of *Cassia* L. that has
> > imparipinnate leaves and that is *Cassia kolabensis* Kothari, Moorthy et
> > Nair. This is probably the same one.
>
> > Regards,
> > Sweedle Cerejo
> > Research Fellow
> > St. Xavier's College
> > Mumbai 400001
>
> > "The more our world functions like the natural world, the more likely we
> > are to endure on this home that is ours, but not ours alone."
> > ~ Janine Benyus

Vijayasankar

Aug 19, 2010, 3:18:44 PM8/19/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
How about Cassia hochstetteri ? (not sure but)
"Revision of Cassinae" by Dr.V.Singh, will be helpful to id this.

With regards

Vijayasankar

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 19, 2010, 11:28:39 PM9/19/10
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Tabish
Resurfacing again for ID confirmation

Earlier feedback

Shrikant ji....................................................Cassia pumila. Leaflets would be 10-20 pairs.
Sweedle......................................................There is only one species of Cassia L. that has imparipinnate leaves and that is Cassia kolabensis Kothari, Moorthy et Nair. This is probably the same one.
Tabish ji........................................................Possibly C. colabensis
Vijayasankar ji..............................................How about Cassia hochstetteri ? (not sure but)
"Revision of Cassinae" by Dr.V.Singh, will be helpful to id this.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Unid-Prabal-3.jpg
Unid-Prabal-4.jpg
Unid-Prabal-1.jpg
Unid-Prabal-2.jpg

Kenneth Greby

Sep 20, 2010, 12:16:19 AM9/20/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Tabish
Not sure the species, but likely now in Senna rather than Cassia.

Regards--
Ken.

Sep 20, 2010, 12:36:38 AM9/20/10
to Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Tabish
Vijayasankar--

 Thank you. I tend to forget this group of "smaller Cassias", as I deal more with trees and shrubs,

Regards--
Ken.

Sep 20, 2010, 1:59:47 AM9/20/10
to Kenneth Greby, Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Tabish
Dear Prashant and all,

Do you think the plant at:
1. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5001532688/
2. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5001527542/
3. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5001526412/
4. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/5001522920/

is same as what you are discussing ?

My plant found at Vaghbil,the size of the flower is just about 5 mm lomg, and about 3 - 4 mm across.

Regards.

rajdeo singh

Sep 20, 2010, 4:21:05 AM9/20/10
to Dinesh Valke, Kenneth Greby, Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Tabish
Hello all,
it is Cassia kleinii, prostrate herb, it has a peltate stalk gland at the base of petiole.
i think this is a important character to distinguish it from other cassia's

Regards,
Rajdeo Singh
Project fellow
St. Xavier's College,
Mumbai

Dinesh Valke

Sep 20, 2010, 2:38:03 PM9/20/10
to rajdeo singh, Kenneth Greby, Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Prashant awale, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Tabish
Many thanks Rajdeo ji for this important key -- of the stalked gland on the petiole.
A search on internet led me to this PDF ... http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/rawdataupload/upload/insa/INSA_1/20005b6d_74.pdf

Found my plant to be Chamaecrista pumila (Cassia pumila)./
Many thanks to you and Shrikant ji fo the ID.

Prashant's plant does not seem to be illustrated in the PDF; yet pending for ID.

Regards.