QUERY :: name of Oxyceros rugulosus (Thwaites) Tirveng. in Tamil and Malayalam

Dinesh Valke

Feb 21, 2013, 5:10:05 AM2/21/13
to efloraofindia
Dear Tamil and Malayalam -knowing friends,

Please help me with the name(s) of Oxyceros rugulosus in Tamil and Malayalam.

Many thanks and regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar

Feb 21, 2013, 11:46:22 AM2/21/13
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji,

I could not find any Tamil name for this species from online sources, incl. FRLHT's ENVIS database.

If a new name has to be coined, I would suggest கொடிக்காரை 'Kodi karai' as its Tamil name (meaning 'climbing Randia', as also aptly used/coined by FoI).

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Dinesh Valke

Feb 21, 2013, 12:41:22 PM2/21/13
to Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Many many many thanks, Vijayasankar ji ... very nice naming!
Shrikant ji too has named this plant as वेल गेळा vel gela in his book Further Flowers of Sahyadri -- translates to ... climbing Randia.
Some while ago got the local name in Kumta (Kannada) from Gurumurthi ji ... ಬಳ್ಳಿ ಕಾರೆ balli kaare ... translates to ... climbing Randia.

Regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar

Feb 21, 2013, 4:47:04 PM2/21/13
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, panchav...@gmail.com
You are most welcome Dinesh ji.

Its interesting...all these names (in different languages) have the same meaning...and referring to the same species...so no confusion!

[Actually I saw FoI page after finalizing the Tamil name, and read Gurumurthi ji's mail with Kannada name after sending my mail. Felt happy to see the similarities and convinced myself that I did not make an inappropriate suggestion :) Also delighted to know that Shrikant ji had similar thoughts.]

Thanks for your efforts in putting all names together...

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Dinesh Valke

Feb 22, 2013, 9:40:47 AM2/22/13
to Vijayasankar, Giby Kuriakose, efloraofindia, panchav...@gmail.com
Many thanks Vijayasankar ji for appreciation.

I am expecting Giby ji and other Malayalam knowing friends to provide name in Malayalam.

Regards.
Dinesh

Vijayasankar

Feb 22, 2013, 1:01:13 PM2/22/13
to Datla CS Raju, Dinesh Valke, Panchavarnam R, indiatreepix
Dear Raju sir,

Thanks for the response.
Even though the botanical nomenclature of Randia-Benkara-Canthium-Xeromphis-Tamilnadia-etc- group may be confusing and keep changing, all (or many of) these plants are grouped by the local people under the generic name 'Karai' or 'Kaarai' (காரை) in Tamil. Different species have various descriptive prefixes such as 'Nalla karai' (Canthium parviflorum), 'Madhu karai' (Randia dumetorum), 'Perungkarai' (R. uliginosa), 'Maru karai' (R. longispina), 'Manakkarai' (Meyna laxiflora) etc. Dr. Tirvengadum finally brought about clarity in this 'armed' group of rubiaceous plants. He also visited FRLHT for studying herbarium collections of this group.

Panchavarnam sir has taken up an ambitious task of naming plants of Tamil Nadu that do not currently have a Tamil name. I hope he agrees with the suggested Tamil name of Oxyceros rugulosus. A quote from his website "...Tamil name is available only for 1260 plants out of 5676 plants. For remaining plants the process of Tamil naming is going on...".

I agree with your suggestion of listing eFI taxa in FBI sequence. Many of us are in fact more comfortable with B & H system. But the modern treatments follow APG III.
I understand Dr. Karthigeyan did extensive work in compilation of plants of India. But I am not sure if the great work is published (other than the statistical summary included in Fl. India intro. volume) and the complete checklist is available online.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Datla CS Raju <dcs...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear DrVijaysankar,
I treated R.malanarica as Xeromphis following my colleague JK
Maheswari and you might know Randia-Stylocoryne etc were in
Penins.India with local namesgiven by Lushington and also by Dr Reddy
IFS who wrote For Flo.Andhra state including 2200 species.I gave my
copy to Deccan circle now in Attapur.(Mohanram,Rolla,Rajamani and
myself  inaugurated BSI unit with Sanjappa as DBSI.
Dr Rama Rao who worked with Henry in Coimbatore is now at
ICFRE,Hyderabd who did ethnobiology.
No harm in giving Tamil name Karai --by you.I will reexamine my new
comb in 66 as Fr Mathews still in infancy at Kurseong (all his pls
were identifiedby me).People taking  names like Arcot etc are still
under nawabi culture.Tipu himself respected Buchanan Hamilton and we
are not finfding a likeness of this great surveyor and best friend of
Roxburgh.Benjamin met Nizam and these two and Robert Wight are real
explorers of Daksninapatha.I am most fortunate to have lineage from
Chalukya-Chola-Pallallava-Chera dynasties -Tanjore-Kanchi as
Capitals-1500 yrs ago when Taxonomy has its birth under
Dioscoreus.Linne is called Dioscoreus -2.
I sugested your name for summarizing eflora listing in FBI sequence.
Hope you are doing well in Mississippi with new status.Good
night dr Raman-dcsraju..
> --
>
> ---

J.M. Garg

Mar 1, 2013, 12:20:01 AM3/1/13
to efloraofindia, drsanth...@gmail.com, manudevk...@gmail.com, royt...@gmail.com, prabhum...@gmail.com, george....@gmail.com, p_s...@rediffmail.com, csvima...@gmail.com, anish...@gmail.com, shahi.s...@gmail.com, jobyvet...@gmail.com, sano...@gmail.com, psud...@rediffmail.com, rathees...@yahoo.co.in, sureshm...@gmail.com, pro....@gmail.com, kesavgo...@gmail.com, prave...@gmail.com, msfran...@gmail.com, Dinesh Valke, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

--

---

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2065 members & 1,47,500 messages on 28/2/13) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 8000 species).

Dinesh Valke

Mar 1, 2013, 12:20:09 PM3/1/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Dr Santhosh Kumar, manudev madhavan, royt...@gmail.com, Prabhu kumar KM, Satheesh George, p_s...@rediffmail.com, vimal kumar, Anish mc, Shahina Shanavas, Joby Joseph, sano...@gmail.com, psud...@rediffmail.com, rathees...@yahoo.co.in, Suresh V Kutty, Nishandh M, kesavgo...@gmail.com, prave...@gmail.com, Francis M.S, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar
Many thanks Garg ji for resurfacing the query.
Some days back I got the Malayalam name ... വള്ളിക്കാര vallikkaara ... via comment from Vinaya Raj V R and Balakrishnan Veeranchan in facebook. Thanks to them.

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Mar 1, 2013, 12:29:02 PM3/1/13
to Vijayasankar, Datla CS Raju, Panchavarnam R, indiatreepix
Many thanks Vijayasankar ji and Raju ji for this discussion.
Regards.
Dinesh