Plant for ID 3 SMP 09062010

Satish Phadke

Jun 9, 2010, 5:23:40 AM6/9/10
to indiantreepix
A shrub for ID
From Amboli May 2010
Dr Phadke

Date/Time-

30May 2010

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

Amboli western ghats. Hill station. Near Kavlesad point

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

Shrub. Thorny thorn at every leaf

Height/Length-

1.5m

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

Ovate

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Axillary

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Less than 1cm White pentamerous. Many ants on it

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

As in picture. Like berrys

Muthu Karthick

Jun 9, 2010, 5:41:17 AM6/9/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
sir, the pictures?

Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth Trust
Chennai - 61
www.careearthtrust.org

Satish Phadke

Jun 9, 2010, 10:14:47 AM6/9/10
to indiantreepix
Attaching the images now.
IMG_9470s.jpg
IMG_9471s.jpg
IMG_9473s.jpg

Aparna Watve

Jun 9, 2010, 10:31:46 AM6/9/10
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
could this be Scutia myrtina?

Dr. Aparna Watve
Dr. Aparna Watve
Asha Appt, Shanti Nagar, Ekata Colony
Nr. BSNL tower, Akbar Ward,
Seoni.480661
tel: 07692-228115
mobile: (0)9755667710 and 9822597288 still works

tanay bose

Jun 9, 2010, 10:40:30 AM6/9/10
to Aparna Watve, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
I also think this is Scutia myrtina (N. L. Burman) Kurz from Rhamnaceae,
I am attaching the description of this plant from e-flora of China

Synonym: Rhamnus myrtina N. L. Burman, Fl. Indica, 60. 1768 ["myrtinus"]; Blepetalon aculeatum Rafinesque, nom. illeg. superfl.; Ceanothus circumscissus (Linnaeus f.) Gaertner; R. circumscissa Linnaeus f.; Scutia circumscissa (Linnaeus f.) W. Theobald; S. commersonii Brongniart; S. eberhardtii Tardieu; S. indica Brongniart, nom. illeg. superfl.

Shrubs evergreen, scandent, straggling, or erect, to 5 m tall, spinescent. Branches opposite to subopposite; young branches puberulent; older branches brown or red-brown, striate, glabrous. Spines mostly 2 per node, axillary, 2-7 mm, recurved. Leaves opposite or subopposite; stipules lanceolate, 2-3 mm, early deciduous; petiole 3-5 mm, glabrous or puberulent; leaf blade abaxially pale green, adaxially shiny, deep green, brown when dry, elliptic, 3.5-6 × 1.8-3 cm, leathery, both surfaces glabrous, lateral veins 5-8 pairs, conspicuously raised abaxially, impressed adaxially, base broadly cuneate, margin inconspicuously remotely minutely serrulate, apex shortly acuminate or acute. Flowers yellow-green, few in axillary fascicles or shortly pedunculate in axillary condensed cymes, glabrous. Pedicels 1-2 mm. Sepals (4 or)5, narrowly triangular, ca. 2 mm, midvein distinctly keeled, apex acute and thickened. Petals (4 or)5, deeply emarginate to deeply bilobed,
unguiculate, ca. 1 mm, both sides slightly inflexed, base shortly clawed. Stamens (4 or)5, surrounded by and equaling petals. Disk glabrous, rather thin and inconspicuous. Ovary globose, base filling calyx tube, but not immersed in disk, 2-loculed; style short, ca. 1 mm, stout; stigma undivided or inconspicuously 2- or 3-lobed. Drupe obovoid-globose, 4-5 mm in diam., often with rudimentary style at apex, base with persistent calyx tube, with 2 one-seeded stones; fruiting pedicel 3-4 mm, glabrous. Seeds brown, flat, obcordate, not furrowed. Fl. Mar-May, fr. Jul-Nov.

Illustration: http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=94046&flora_id=2

Tanay

J.M. Garg

Jun 23, 2010, 1:40:09 AM6/23/10
to efloraofindia, satish phadke, Aparna Watve, tanay bose

Some earlier relevant feedback:

could this be Scutia myrtina? Dr. Aparna Watve ”

I also think this is Scutia myrtina (N. L. Burman) Kurz from Rhamnaceae,

Tanay”

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

IMG_9470s.jpg
IMG_9471s.jpg
IMG_9473s.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jul 5, 2010, 12:42:29 AM7/5/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, satish phadke, Aparna Watve, tanay bose
Yes ,
It is Scutia myrtina (Rhamnaceae). A common, straggling spiny shrub in the deciduous and semi-evergreen forests.
The ripened fruits are edible.

Regards
L.Rasingam

Satish Phadke

Jul 5, 2010, 2:26:05 AM7/5/10
to indiantreepix
Thanks for the all the responses.
I think we can safely assume Scutia myrtina as the most likely ID.
Dr Phadke

Satya Prakash

Jul 5, 2010, 2:46:36 AM7/5/10
to Indian trees pix
Dear Friends,

In our recent trip to Abu Hills, we were surprised to observe that many plant species which are supposed to fruit in end of May, are devoid of fruits. Species such as Carissa (Karonda), Malotus (Rohini), Syzygium (Jamun - two species) are still flowering. No fruiting till date. As per our observations, in June we use to collect fruits in this month. Our team members make regular monthly trips of the different areas in Southern belt of Rajasthan.

Surprisingly, early flowering of orchids (Aerides sp.) were also noticed as per discussions made with Dr Satish Kumar Sharma.

Experts may throw light on the probable reasons.

Let me share that the water availability (both surface and underground) on Abu Hills is decreasing. Nakki Lake has limited water supply.

Shockingly, after ESZ notification of Abu Hills, the grey cover (cement-concrete construction) increased on the name of beautification for the tourism purpose. The constructions on large scale especially in the catchment areas as well as open areas of water flow, are taking place with permission of Municipal Board....

Regards

Satya Prakash Mehra
Advisor - RSNH & Manager - Project Boond
Rajasthan