Dalbergia sissoo

sibdas ghosh

Mar 26, 2009, 3:35:11 AM3/26/09
to indiantreepix
One morning(March 16,09) I found about 10 chestnut tailed myna
(Sturnus malabaricus) on a Sissoo tree. I wondered what they were
doing! What the tree has to offer them? It was not in bloom, as young
pods were already there. Were they feeding on the very young pods? Can
anybody enlighten ?
100_0996.JPG
100_0997.JPG
100_0998.JPG
100_1000.JPG

J.M. Garg

Mar 26, 2009, 4:25:13 AM3/26/09
to sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
I think looking for insects & tit-bits.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Mar 26, 2009, 4:49:58 AM3/26/09
to sibdas ghosh, indiantreepix
Not in the context of your query, Dalbergia sissoo is a popular tree in gwalior, and it tolerates the hot and dry weather of this area HOwever, for the last few years the trees have been dying from a strange disease, so much so that it is now avoided in any plantation programme here.
akbhatt
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Mar 26, 2009, 9:59:29 AM3/26/09
to indiantreepix

Mar 26, 2009, 11:55:18 PM3/26/09
to sibdas ghosh, kaysat tiwari, indiantreepix
Any idea what the disease could be and a possible cure for it?
I appreciate it is difficult without seeing even the affected tree. Sayen, could you send some photographs?
akbhatt

Yazdy Palia

Mar 27, 2009, 2:05:01 AM3/27/09
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, sibdas ghosh, kaysat tiwari, indiantreepix
The response of Mr. Satyendraji is enlightening. If the borers attack,
entire area could get affected. For example the white stem borers in
Arabica coffee could devastate entire plantation.
If it is the work of borers which are the larvae of certain moths, one
could control them by lighting a lamp over a bucket of water during
the breeding season. They will fall into the bucket of water and can
be eliminated.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

Yazdy Palia

Mar 27, 2009, 2:06:21 AM3/27/09
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, sibdas ghosh, kaysat tiwari, indiantreepix
Further to my mail earlier, the lamps have to be lit at night when the
moths come out.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Anand Kumar Bhatt