Gloriosa superba ...

Dinesh Valke

Jan 9, 2009, 1:23:44 PM1/9/09
to Indian Tree Pix
... for Flora Picture of the Year 2008

Hello friends,
Sometimes the Stars, the Moon, the Sun -- all of them are happy at the same moment -- I mean happy with my photo-shooting skills.
One such moment: September 16, 2007 11.03am ... clicked Gloriosa superba at Valley Park, Navi Mumbai.

Native of India (and south-east Asia) ... a very different flower ... colors blending from green to yellow to orange to red ... and almost to scarlet ... a very different plant of lily family ... reaches out for support with help of its leaves ... the leaf tip elongates to form a very slender tendril to coil around nearby support.

Commonly known by many names: climbing lily, creeping lily, fire lily, flame lily, gloriosa lily, glory lily, malabar glory lily, superb lily, tiger claw ... and kandhal in Tamil (காந்தள்) ... it is the State Flower of Tamil Nadu, India.

Regards.
Gloriosa_superba.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jan 9, 2009, 11:23:34 PM1/9/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
A lovely picture, Dinesh ji.

figtree

Jan 10, 2009, 4:24:44 AM1/10/09
to indiantreepix
The plant is regarded as endangered. It is an alternate source of the
alkaloid -colchicine and is commercially overexploit.

On Jan 10, 9:23 am, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A lovely picture, Dinesh ji.
>
> 2009/1/9 Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com>
>

> > ... for Flora Picture of the Year 2008
>
> > Hello friends,
> > Sometimes the Stars, the Moon, the Sun -- all of them are happy at the same
> > moment -- I mean happy with my photo-shooting skills.
> > One such moment: September 16, 2007 11.03am ... clicked Gloriosa superba at
> > Valley Park, Navi Mumbai.
>
> > Native of India (and south-east Asia) ... a very different flower ...
> > colors blending from green to yellow to orange to red ... and almost to
> > scarlet ... a very different plant of lily family ... reaches out for
> > support with help of its leaves ... the leaf tip elongates to form a very
> > slender tendril to coil around nearby support.
>
> > Commonly known by many names: climbing lily, creeping lily, fire lily,
> > flame lily, gloriosa lily, glory lily, malabar glory lily, superb lily,
> > tiger claw ... and *kandhal* in Tamil (காந்தள்) ... it is the State Flower
> > of Tamil Nadu, India.
>
> > Regards.
>
> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg
> "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> Creating Awareness about Indian Flora & Fauna:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/ join Google e-group
> (Indiantreepix)http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en- Hide quoted text -

Maanav Kamath

Jan 10, 2009, 6:42:47 PM1/10/09
to sibda...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
you can grow gloriosa superbe indoors or outdoors. It is available here in US garden nurseries. I have a few frowing in my garden and they do bloom annually, so if it is
endangered it can be reestablished with some effort. All it needs is a will and effort. Just think few decades back both American Bald Eagle and florida alligators were also
endangered, today the are plentyful. So let us try to spread them with some dedicated botanists working with many nature enthusiasts.

good luck, Maanav
> Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 01:24:44 -0800
> Subject: [indiantreepix:7391] Re: Gloriosa superba ...
> From: sibda...@gmail.com
> To: indian...@googlegroups.com

Mahadeswara Swamy

Jan 11, 2009, 8:39:42 AM1/11/09
to sibda...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, Maanav Kamath
Very common plant on the East coast of Tamil Nadu. It is the state flower of Tamil Nadu.

--- On Sun, 11/1/09, Maanav Kamath <maa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_explore_012009

Get your own website and domain for just Rs.1,999/year.* Go to http://in.business.yahoo.com

Dinesh Valke

Jan 11, 2009, 8:55:40 AM1/11/09
to swamy...@yahoo.com, sibda...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, Maanav Kamath
... status (as per my sightings !!) at Western Ghats near Mumbai: found occasionally.
Regards.

shubhada nikharge

Jan 12, 2009, 12:23:51 AM1/12/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Satish,
Excellent pic. thanx very much for posting a pic of endangered species.
i had seen it (only 1 plant of it) at 2 places in Goregaon ( Mumbai) 3 years ago. last year it was found only at 1 place.
cheers,
shubhada

Jan 12, 2009, 12:39:59 AM1/12/09
to shubhada nikharge, Indian Tree Pix
Shubhada ji, I do not see any Satish in this thread of mails.
Hope I am not mistaking that you are appreciating my photo !!
Regards.

shubhada nikharge

Jan 12, 2009, 12:44:52 AM1/12/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
extremely sorry, dinesh.
it was my mistake. Anyways, superb photo. i do not have a good photo of it. i have saved it in my comp.
cheers,
shubhada

Jan 12, 2009, 9:47:35 AM1/12/09
to shubhada nikharge, Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Shubhada
Anyway you have already appreciated my picture before my posting it, Let everyone have a look at it.It is already there in my blog titled Liliaceae.(Sorry, It is not as beautiful as that posted by Dinesh) Though it is endangered species it is not that uncommon and I have seen at least 10-15 plants in one trip near Khambataki ghat and also in Konkan.
Satish Phadke

2009/1/12 shubhada nikharge <shubhada...@yahoo.co.in>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
Gloriosa superba .jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jan 12, 2009, 10:09:55 AM1/12/09
to satish phadke, shubhada nikharge, Indian Tree Pix
"All that the sun shines on is beautiful, so long as it is wild."
 - John Muir

Claps please :)

shubhada nikharge

Jan 12, 2009, 11:52:25 PM1/12/09
to satish phadke, Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
satish,
The mail i had sent earlier is apt for ur pic too. so it was not a mistake. I just  missed the timing!

U and Dinesh both share 'sh' in ur names and another common thing is beautiful pics that both of u post. hence, d mistake.
cheers,
shubhada

Jan 13, 2009, 9:12:25 AM1/13/09
to Dinesh Valke, shubhada nikharge, Indian Tree Pix
Dinesh
First of all.Claps :) Claps:)
I think you have forgotten to write the Marathi name Kal-Lawi which has double meaning.
1)It stimulates labour contractions in pregnancy and
2)Its presence is supposed to induce quarrels amongst people.(This meaningful concept is also there in some other language.
Satish

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

Dinesh Valke

Jan 13, 2009, 9:29:56 AM1/13/09
to satish phadke, shubhada nikharge, Indian Tree Pix
Thanks very much Satish for the meaning of the Marathi name kal-lawi ... it was good piece of knowledge.
Actually I do have that name compiled in my notes; besides in other Indic languages ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/1305521418/
Regards.

Rupi SHAH

Jan 13, 2009, 4:32:06 PM1/13/09
to satish phadke, dinesh...@gmail.com, shubhada...@yahoo.co.in, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi, it is called kankasani in gujarati. meaning it induces quarrels.
This plant is shown on catalogues of european plants.
regards,
Rupi

Dinesh Valke

Jan 14, 2009, 1:01:33 AM1/14/09
to rupi....@yahoo.fr, satish phadke, shubhada...@yahoo.co.in, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello Rupi,

Have I spelt કંકસની for kankasani correctly?
If not, can you please provide the corrected word ?

Some other names found for this plant in Gujarati are: dudhio ( દુધિયો ), vacchanaag ( વચ્છનાગ ) ... if possible, please validate the correctness.

Thanks and regards.