[efloraofindia:33757] Indian Laburnum

mani nair

May 2, 2010, 2:47:32 AM5/2/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,
This  is Indian Laburnum, locally known as bahava and in Malayalam it is known as Kani Konna.    These trees were  planted by me 8 years ago in a school.   All are profusely flowering now.   Hope you like the flowers.
Regards,
Mani.

konna1.jpg
konna2.jpg
konna3.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

May 2, 2010, 2:52:49 AM5/2/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Mani ji
Cassia fistula, very commonly flowering now even in Delhi.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 2, 2010, 3:22:10 AM5/2/10
to Gurcharan Singh, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
In Hindi known as AMALTAS. Very popular garden tree this part of the country. Our folk lore and mythology are full of Amaltas and Kachnar.
ak

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 12:17 PM, mani nair <mani....@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear friends,
This  is Indian Laburnum, locally known as bahava and in Malayalam it is known as Kani Konna.    These trees were  planted by me 8 years ago in a school.   All are profusely flowering now.   Hope you like the flowers.
Regards,
Mani.

Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
My blogsite is at:
http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
(A new blogs has been added on 1 April and 11 March 10.)
And the photo site:
www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ten most  common surnames of Indians: Singh, Kumar, Sharma, Patel, Shah, Lal, Gupta, Bhat, Rao, Reddy. Cheers!

tanay bose

May 2, 2010, 9:54:17 AM5/2/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Gurcharan Singh, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Cassia fistula common name Amaltas in bengali we also call it " Bandar Lathi" meanong " The stick of Monkey" due its long stick like fruits.
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

formp...@yahoo.com

May 2, 2010, 1:13:55 PM5/2/10
to tanay bose, indian...@googlegroups.com, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Gurcharan Singh, mani nair
Common name in English summer grapes as flower in summer and the shape of inflorences resemble grapes. The stick not only gets the name due to shape but the seeds are monkeys favourate. Has some medicinal property. Due to shape of fruit like cigar the sps name is fistula.

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: tanay bose <tanay...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 19:24:17 +0530
To: Anand Kumar Bhatt<anand...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:33779] Indian Laburnum

promila chaturvedi

May 3, 2010, 9:02:22 AM5/3/10
to formp...@yahoo.com, tanay Bose, indian...@googlegroups.com, anand...@gmail.com, Gurucharan singh, mani....@gmail.com
The Indian Laburnum is considered more beautiful than the Europeon.
Promila

Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:33789] Indian Laburnum
To: tanay...@gmail.com; indian...@googlegroups.com; anand...@gmail.com
CC: sing...@gmail.com; mani....@gmail.com
From: formp...@yahoo.com
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 17:13:55 +0000

The latest auto launches and test drives Drag n' drop

Gurcharan Singh

May 3, 2010, 9:31:15 AM5/3/10
to promila chaturvedi, formp...@yahoo.com, tanay Bose, indian...@googlegroups.com, anand...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com
Just to Add, European Laburnum is Laburnum anagyroides tree with trifoliate leaves flowers looking like Cassia fistula, the Indian laburnum.
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

nabha meghani

May 3, 2010, 9:43:05 AM5/3/10
to Gurcharan Singh, promila chaturvedi, formp...@yahoo.com, tanay Bose, indian...@googlegroups.com, anand...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com
and i havn't seen any fruits to European Laburnum. i did not take any picturs of European Laburnum this year from my garden. The blossom is over now. But will watch what sort of fruits, if any, will be there.
Regards
Nalini

Madhuri Pejaver

May 7, 2010, 9:50:19 AM5/7/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
since we are talking about Indian Laburnum here is a close up
madhuri

May 9, 2010, 10:48:35 AM5/9/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

I am interested planting some Acacia Arabia Babhul variety which yields high quantity of gum. If any knows about this variety & location I will be obliged.

--
(*    I have posted Lissajous Figures Applet  on  my blog  http://virtuallab.in/blog/      **)

Dr. Vasant Barve
# 5 Dhanalaxmi Apartments,
Shivagiri Colony, Gangapur Road,
Nashik 422 005 (India)
Phone 0253 234 2563 (R), 94227 30724 (M)

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 10, 2010, 1:12:23 AM5/10/10
to Vasant Barve, indian...@googlegroups.com
here is an extract form Wikipedia:

Gum arabic, also known as gum acacia, chaar gund, char goond or meska, is a natural gum made of hardened sap taken from two species of the acacia tree; Acacia senegal and Acacia seyal. The gum is harvested commercially from wild trees throughout the Sahel from Senegal and Sudan to Somalia, although it has been historically cultivated in Arabia and West Asia. Gum arabic is a complex mixture of polysaccharides and glycoproteins that is used primarily in the food industry as a stabilizer. It is edible and has E number E414. Gum arabic is a key ingredient in traditional lithography and is used in printing, paint production, glue, cosmetics and various industrial applications, including viscosity control in inks and in textile industries, although cheaper materials compete with it for many of these roles. While gum arabic production now stretches throughout the African Sahel, it is still harvested and used in the Middle East. For example, Palestinian Arabs use the natural gum to make a chilled, sweetened, and flavored gelato-like dessert.

today or yesterday mr Singh had uploaded a few pictures of the tree. He should be a better person to tell you where you can get sapplings or seeds.

ak

Contents

[hide]
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
My blogsite is at:
http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
(A new blogs has been added on 1 April and 11 March 10.)
And the photo site:
www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/
Ten most  common surnames of Indians: Singh, Kumar, Sharma, Patel, Shah, Lal, Gupta, Bhat, Rao, Reddy. Cheers!

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 11, 2010, 1:32:38 AM5/11/10
to Vasant Barve, indian...@googlegroups.com
You could also see the blog on my blogsite. The link is:
. http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com/2010/05/acacia.html
ak