PLANT FOR ID 163 SMP NOV 2009

Satish Phadke

Nov 12, 2009, 9:26:07 AM11/12/09
to indiantreepix Indian
This Leucas species was observed at many places in Mahabaleshwar Nov 2009.
Are the characters seen in the picture sufficient to reach to its ID?
Dr Satish Phadke
DSCN3154leucas.jpg
DSCN3166Leucas.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Nov 12, 2009, 9:30:57 AM11/12/09
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
... most likely Leucas stelligera, the starry Leucas, in Marathi:  बुरुंबी burumbi, गोमा goma.
Regards.

Aparna Watve

Nov 13, 2009, 2:58:26 PM11/13/09
to Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Perhaps you should add a close up of a single flower clearly showing
the equally divided, spreading calyx (not oblique as in some other
species) and a dry inflo if you find any, where the calyx remains
characteristically persistent enclosing the nutlets
aparna

--
Dr. Aparna Watve
Dr. Aparna Watve

Satish Phadke

Nov 20, 2009, 9:19:56 AM11/20/09
to Aparna Watve, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix Indian
Attaching another close up.
It does appear to be Leucas stelligera (at least photographically)
Satish

Satish Phadke

Nov 20, 2009, 9:20:56 AM11/20/09
to Aparna Watve, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix Indian
With attachment Now

2009/11/20 Satish Phadke <phadke...@gmail.com>
LeucasDSCN3188s.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Nov 20, 2009, 9:38:57 AM11/20/09
to Satish Phadke, Aparna Watve, indiantreepix Indian
... one is tempted to think of Leucas ciliata (in Marathi: बुरुंबी burumbi) found at Mahabaleshwar, however, L. ciliata has tell-tale brownish-black hairs on the flower, and other parts of the plant not as hairy. Please take a look at few of my photos at http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Leucasstelligera&w=91314344@N00&m=tags

Regards.