Quisqualis malabarica?

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Sep 30, 2008, 8:28:16 AM9/30/08
to indiantreepix
Is it Quisqualis malabarica or densiflora or indica?
Best wishes,
akbhatt

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Bhind Road

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Sep 30, 2008, 8:32:24 AM9/30/08
to indiantreepix
Oops! Did not attach the photographs (taken by my wife Swati).
D50 30 Sept 2008 005.jpg
D50 30 Sept 2008 006.jpg
D50 30 Sept 2008 009.jpg

Neil Soares

Sep 30, 2008, 9:03:07 AM9/30/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mr.Bhatt,
It is the Rangoon Creeper [Quisqualis indica].
Regards,
Neil Soares.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Sep 30, 2008, 9:35:47 AM9/30/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, drneil...@yahoo.com, indiantreepix
Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link for it:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quisqualis_indica

Quisqualis indica also known as the Chinese honeysuckle or Rangoon Creeper is a creeper with red flower clusters and is found in Asia. It is found in many other parts of the world either as a cultivated ornamental or run wild. Other names for the plant include quiscual (in Spanish), niyog-niyogan (in Filipino)), Madhu Malti or Madhumalti (in Hindi),Radha Manoharam(in Telugu). The genus translates into Latin for What is that?.

The Rangoon Creeper is a ligneous vine that can reach from 2.5 meters to up to 8 meters. The leaves are elliptical with an acuminate tip and a rounded base. They grow from 7 to 15 centimeters and their arrangement is opposite. The flowers are fragrant and tubular and their color varies from white to pink to red. The 30 to 35 mm long fruit is ellipsoidal and has five prominent wings. The fruit tastes like almonds when mature. The niyog-niyogan is usually dispersed by water.

Rangoon Creeper is found in thickets or secondary forests of the Philippines, India and Malaysia. It has since been cultivated and naturalized in tropical areas.

The plant is mainly used for traditional medicine. Decoctions of the root, seed or fruit can be used as antihelmintic or for alleviating diarrhea. Fruit decoction can also be used for gargling. The fruits are also used to combat nephritis. Leaves can be used to relieve pain caused by fever. The roots are used to treat rheumatism.

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 30, 2008, 10:02:48 AM9/30/08
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com
have never seen fruits on this plant, if some one has the photo of the fruit it is welcome
madhuri

> Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link for it:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quisqualis_indica
>

> *Quisqualis indica* also known as the Chinese honeysuckle
> or Rangoon Creeper
> is a creeper <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creeper>

> with red flower clusters
> and is found in Asia

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia>. It is found in

> many other parts of the world either as a cultivated
> ornamental or run wild.
> Other names for the plant include quiscual (in

> Spanish<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_language>),
> niyog-niyogan (in Filipino
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipino_language>)),

> Madhu Malti or Madhumalti (in

> Hindi<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindi_language>),Radha
> Manoharam(in Telugu
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telugu_language>). The
> genus translates into Latin for *What is that?*.

> The Rangoon Creeper is a ligneous

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligneous>vine that can

> reach from 2.5
> meters to up to 8 meters. The leaves are
> elliptical with an acuminate tip and a rounded base. They
> grow from 7 to 15
> centimeters and their arrangement is opposite. The flowers
> are fragrant and
> tubular and their color varies from white to pink to red.
> The 30 to 35 mm
> long fruit is ellipsoidal and has five prominent wings. The
> fruit tastes

> like almonds <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almonds>

> when mature. The
> niyog-niyogan is usually dispersed by water.
>
> Rangoon Creeper is found in thickets or secondary

> forests<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_forest>of
> the
> Philippines
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippines>,
> India<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India>and
> Malaysia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia>. It

> has since been
> cultivated and naturalized in tropical areas.
> The plant is mainly used for traditional

> medicine<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_medicine>.

> Decoctions of the root, seed or fruit can be used as

> antihelmintic<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antihelmintic>or

> for
> alleviating diarrhea. Fruit decoction can also be used for

> gargling <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gargling>. The

> fruits are also used
> to combat nephritis

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephritis>. Leaves can

> be
> used to relieve pain caused by fever. The roots are used to
> treat

> rheumatism<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheumatism>

> --
> With regards,
> J.M.Garg
> "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> Creating Awareness about Indian Flora & Fauna:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1

Mahadeswara Swamy

Sep 30, 2008, 10:07:09 AM9/30/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, indiantreepix
The photographs look like Q.indica.

Oops! Did not attach the photographs (taken by my wife Swati).

Swaminathan, Prakash

Sep 30, 2008, 11:18:01 PM9/30/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Rangoon Creeper is called Madhu-malati in Hindi and has a very nice
fragrance...

Regards
Prakash
* +91 98675 08049
*Prakash.S...@bg-group.com
BG Energy Holdings Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 3763515
Registered address:
100 Thames Valley Park Drive
Reading, Berkshire RG6 1PT UK
Telephone: +44 (0)118 935 3222
Website: http://www.BG-Group.com

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee named above. As this
responsible for delivering the message to the named addressee. The

nabha meghani

Oct 1, 2008, 6:54:49 AM10/1/08
to drneil...@yahoo.com, Anand Kumar Bhatt, indian...@googlegroups.com
Is it Madhumalti in Marathi?