[efloraofindia:33756] Fruticose lichen

rashida atthar

May 2, 2010, 2:08:21 AM5/2/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

The shrub like lantern like Fruticose lichen seen at Kulgi, WLS, Karnataka, last week of April,'10.

regards,
Rashida.

All the post budget analysis and implications Sign up now.

Fruticose lichen.JPG

Yazdy Palia

May 2, 2010, 3:31:24 AM5/2/10
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rashida ji,
I just thought of learning a bit more and look what I found.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichen
Regards
Yazdy.

rashida atthar

May 2, 2010, 9:25:38 AM5/2/10
to yazdy...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Yazdi ji. Very informative link.

regards,
Rashida.

> Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 13:01:24 +0530
> Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:33764] Fruticose lichen
> From: yazdy...@gmail.com
> To: rashid...@hotmail.com
> CC: indian...@googlegroups.com

The latest auto launches and test drives Drag n' drop

Satish Chile

May 3, 2010, 2:29:01 AM5/3/10
to rashida atthar, yazdy...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Shrub like lichen may be Parmelia perlata (Linn.). This is used as spice named Chharila.
Satish
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

rashida atthar

May 3, 2010, 4:23:40 AM5/3/10
to chile...@gmail.com, yazdy...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Dr. Satish ji for the ID and the info.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 11:59:01 +0530
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:33806] Fruticose lichen
From: chile...@gmail.com
To: rashid...@hotmail.com
CC: yazdy...@gmail.com; indian...@googlegroups.com

Catch the changing security environment Get it now.

J.M. Garg

May 24, 2010, 8:33:00 AM5/24/10
to efloraofindia, rashida atthar, tanay bose, kiran ranadive, Inderjeet Sethi, Satish Chile

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Shrub like lichen may be Parmelia perlata (Linn.). This is used as spice named Chharila.
Satish Chile”

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

J.M. Garg

Jun 5, 2010, 2:26:34 AM6/5/10
to efloraofindia, rashida atthar, tanay bose, Swapna Prabhu, chile...@gmail.com, Yazdy Palia, kiran ranadive, Inderjeet Sethi
Some earlier relevant feedback:
“Shrub like lichen may be Parmelia perlata (Linn.). This is used as spice named Chharila.
Satish Chile”

Jun 8, 2010, 8:24:04 AM6/8/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, rashida atthar, tanay bose, Swapna Prabhu, chile...@gmail.com, Yazdy Palia, kiran ranadive
Dear Rashida ji,
To me this lichen appears to be a fruticose lichen Ramalina farinacea. This is one of the commonest tree- inhabiting species. The thallus is strap- shaped, flattened,  grows in tufts - erect or pendant ( 3 to 10 cm long) and is grey-green in colour. The thallus is similar in appearance on both sides.
Rashida ji, I don't know its exact size. From its look I am able to gather that it is Ramalina sp. If you have a close up of branches may be we can see soralia.
Regards
--
~ik~
Dr.Inderjeet Kaur Sethi

Rashida Atthar

Jun 8, 2010, 10:14:42 AM6/8/10
to Inderjeet Sethi, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, rashida atthar, tanay bose, Swapna Prabhu, chile...@gmail.com, Yazdy Palia, kiran ranadive
Thank you M'am for this very interesting explanation. I have cropped the pic. and attaching a close-up, hope it is of help.

regards,
Rashida.
Fruticose lichen close up.JPG

Inderjeet Sethi

Jun 9, 2010, 1:24:06 PM6/9/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, rashida atthar, tanay bose, Swapna Prabhu, chile...@gmail.com, Yazdy Palia, kiran ranadive
Yes in the close up we can see soralia on the margins of the thallus. These are reproductive structures consisting of soredia (algal cells + fungal hyphae).

Rashida Atthar

Jun 10, 2010, 12:48:54 AM6/10/10
to Inderjeet Sethi, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, rashida atthar, tanay bose, Swapna Prabhu, chile...@gmail.com, Yazdy Palia, kiran ranadive
Thank you M'am once again for the ID and the interesting explanation.

regards,
Rashida.