ID 280110 1

Suvarna Sarpotdar

Jan 28, 2010, 5:23:11 AM1/28/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I saw these trees all over the Goa Trek in Dec '09 with peach and cream coloured flowers without leaves.
ID please .
Suvarna
DSC05297.JPG

Pardeshi S.

Jan 28, 2010, 11:57:50 PM1/28/10
to efloraofindia
Hello Suvarna ji
it is

Bombax ceiba L. of Family Bombacaceae
Common name: Kate sawar.

though the colour of petalls are bit different it is the same species.
Regard
Satish Pardeshi

On Jan 28, 3:23 pm, Suvarna Sarpotdar <suvarna.sarpot...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  DSC05297.JPG
> 66KViewDownload

Ninad Raut

Jan 29, 2010, 3:26:03 AM1/29/10
to efloraofindia
Hello All,
I agree with Satish ji. Looking at flower one will have to think twice
to say that the plant is B. ceiba

Common names: Red Silk Cotton Tree / Indian Kapok Tree [English],
Shalmali [Sanskrit], Semal [Hindi], Shimul [Bengali], Mullilava
[Malyalam], Kondaburuga [Telgu] (Vaidyaratnam PS 1997; Jain Vanita et
al. 2007)

Spines present on stem / bark are used to cure acne [ some
interesting information and also more uses found in the article
published in Indian J. of Traditional Knowledge [link =
http://nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/6288/1/IJTK%208(4)%20638-644.pdf
]

Here is link to herbarium specimen of B. ceiba in Kew =
http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/getImage.do?imageBarcode=K000357884

many regards

Ninad B. Raut
JRF, WII (D'dun)