(14/Apr/2021 ART 3) Is this Bauhinia purpurea?

Ms. Tamil

Apr 14, 2021, 7:59:47 AM4/14/21
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Date: 2021/Apr/06
Location: Palani, Dindigul District, Tamil Nadu

Can you please confirm if this tree is Bauhinia purpurea?

Thank you!

IMG_0941.jpg
IMG_0949.jpg
IMG_0951.jpg
IMG_0952.jpg
IMG_0944.jpg
IMG_0945.jpg
IMG_0942.jpg
IMG_0943.jpg
IMG_0946.jpg
IMG_0947.jpg
IMG_0948.jpg
IMG_0950.jpg

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Apr 14, 2021, 8:21:49 AM4/14/21
to efloraofindia
Yes it's,
With regards.

Saroj Kasaju

Apr 14, 2021, 8:45:05 AM4/14/21
to efloraindia
Agree with Paradesi Ji !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Rahul Sharma

Apr 14, 2021, 10:20:25 AM4/14/21
to efloraofindia
Bauhinia purpurea it is

Ms. Tamil

Apr 15, 2021, 1:18:04 AM4/15/21
to efloraofindia
Thank you Paradesi ji, Saroj ji and Rahul ji.

Nancy Seby

Apr 15, 2021, 1:22:18 AM4/15/21
to efloraofindia
Definitely!! And lovely pictures.

Warm regards
Nancy Seby

Ms. Tamil

Apr 15, 2021, 9:30:01 AM4/15/21
to efloraofindia
Thank you, Nancy ji.

-Arvindh

J.M. Garg

Apr 20, 2021, 12:37:51 PM4/20/21
to efloraofindia, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, Saroj Kasaju, Rahul Sharma, Nancy Seby, Ms. Tamil
It is Bauhinia x blakeana as per images and details herein.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Mahadeswara

Apr 21, 2021, 12:28:35 AM4/21/21
to efloraofindia
For final ID check with Trees of Delhi, where a key has been proposed to ID different species of Bauhinia.  Check physically .

Ms. Tamil

Apr 21, 2021, 10:24:16 AM4/21/21
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Garg ji and Mahadeswara ji.

Checked with the keys given in the book "Trees of Delhi" for Bauhinia variegata, Bauhinia purpurea and Bauhinia x blakeana.

Flower: The three central petals are not overlapping.  Hence it is not Bauhinia variegata.  I am not experienced, but comparing the photos I had taken earlier with other photos available on the internet, it seems the petals are larger and deeper coloured, indicating Bauhinia x blakeana (and not Bauhinia purpurea). [Images in page 2 of Hybrid Origin of Bauhinia blakeana PDF also give a good comparison of the flowers of the three species.]

Leaves: Upper lobes are not overlapping near the cleft, unlike this picture of Bauhinia purpurea leaf.  Instead, they are clearly set apart.  The leaves are also not longer, and the cleft doesn't run deep (unlike Bauhinia purpurea).  I guess these are the clear keys for Bauhinia x blakeana.

Couldn't check physically right away, but comparing photos closely does point to Bauhinia x blakeana.  Thank you for the correction.

-Arvindh

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "efloraofindia" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/7f656a77-799c-44f0-b9b8-19f4f086a536n%40googlegroups.com.

M Swamy

Apr 21, 2021, 11:57:45 PM4/21/21
to indian...@googlegroups.com
That is fine. You got the correct ID.
Great going by Ms. Tamil ji.  You have a good knowledge of plants (taxonomy) .