Flowering of Catunaregam spinosa

Pravin Kawale

Jun 22, 2010, 4:18:19 AM6/22/10
to efloraofindia
Hi,
Today came across the flowering tree of
Catunaregam spinosa
Local common name : Gelphal, Gela
Location: Kanakeshwar,Alibag
Surprisingly there were no.of butterfly,moth and
insect spp.gathered in search of honey.
(Common silverline,Common indian crow,Indian cabbage,Mottled emigrant,
Common wanderer,tailed jay,brownawl,Honey bee and two more unidentified)
Extremly sorry for huge no.of images
Thanks

DSC06625.JPG
DSC06600.JPG
DSC06602.JPG
DSC06618.JPG
DSC06623.JPG
DSC06636.JPG
DSC06637.JPG
DSC06644.JPG
DSC06657.JPG
DSC06665.JPG
DSC06686.JPG
DSC06677.JPG
DSC06590.JPG

DSC06625.JPG
DSC06600.JPG
DSC06602.JPG
DSC06618.JPG
DSC06623.JPG
DSC06636.JPG
DSC06637.JPG
DSC06644.JPG
DSC06657.JPG
DSC06665.JPG
DSC06686.JPG
DSC06677.JPG
DSC06590.JPG

Neil Soares

Jun 22, 2010, 6:19:41 AM6/22/10
to efloraofindia, Pravin Kawale
Hi Pravin,
  Beautiful photographs!!! The last 2 are the Hummingbird Hawkmoth & the Forester Moth [Eusemia adiatrix]. DSC06636 is the Painted Lady butterfly.
                    Regards,
                      Neil.

tanay bose

Jun 22, 2010, 8:07:05 AM6/22/10
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia, Pravin Kawale
I think the the flowers which are pollinated turns yellow in colour and un-pollinated ones are white !!!
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Neil Soares

Jun 22, 2010, 9:08:58 AM6/22/10
to tanay bose, efloraofindia, Pravin Kawale
Hi Pravin & Tanay,
 Mine are now fruiting. Sending a few photographs.
                  Regards,
                   Neil.

--- On Tue, 6/22/10, tanay bose <tanay...@gmail.com> wrote:
Catunaregam spinosa , Ghela flowers 1.jpg
Catunaregam spinosa, Ghela flowers 2.jpg
Catunaregam spinosa fruit 1.jpg
Catunaregam spinosa fruit 2.jpg
Catunaregam spinosa fruit 3.jpg

tanay bose

Jun 22, 2010, 9:10:42 AM6/22/10
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia, Pravin Kawale
Thanks I have never seen the fruits of this plant !! Your plants are always a step ahead !!
Tanay

Usha Desai

Jun 23, 2010, 11:05:31 AM6/23/10
to tanay bose, Neil Soares, efloraofindia, Pravin Kawale
the fruit is called Minthal in gujrati and are used at the time of Hindu  marrige ceremony.
I wonder why this fruit is selected...anyone knows the answer.thanks in advance Usha Desai

Satish Phadke

Jun 23, 2010, 12:02:04 PM6/23/10
to Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
Excellent collection of images showing a large variety of pollinators and visitors of the plant.
Shows how Ecologically important this plant is !!!
Amboli forest has a huge number of these trees. I could catch some of the trees flowering.
It is one of the host plant for epiphytic orchids too.
Attaching some of my pictures taken during my recent Amboli visit. The last picture shows one tree flowering behind the flagpost put up at famous BajiPrabhu's Pavankhind near Amba ghat.
Dr Phadke
IMG_9360s.jpg
catunaregam spinosa .jpg
IMG_9554s.jpg