Loranthus

satish phadke

Jan 31, 2009, 12:06:30 PM1/31/09
to indiantreepix Indian
Attaching a picture of flower and fruit from Loranthaceae family.
To me it appears to be Taxillus cuneatus. (Loranthus cuneatus)as the corolla tube appears to be splitting down as per Srikantji's book FFOS page 320.
But it still can be Dendropthoe falcata(Loranthus longiflora)
-- Satish Phadke

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com
DSCN0053s.jpg
DSCN0009s.jpg

Aparna Watve

Feb 1, 2009, 12:10:10 AM2/1/09
to satish phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Dear Dr. Phadke,
There is one (- not at all easy) way to solve this problem... USE FLORA : ) which will give you a reliable key and description to sort out species. Try Cooke's flora or Flora of Maharashtra vol. 2.
At times like this, picture handbooks even of the best quality are not enough. As you (and so many on this list) are taking pictures so critically and so nicely, and you have been compiling family descriptions, it is but a simple step ahead to try out the regional flora.
the flora (of Maharashtra) says:
Flowers irregular- Taxillus
Flowers regular- Dendrophthoe
further key you can check with a herbarium or specimen.
Have nice day sorting out the puzzle
: )
Aparna

satish phadke

Feb 1, 2009, 3:45:53 AM2/1/09
to Aparna Watve, indiantreepix Indian
I do have a flora of Maharashtra by BSI and checked there.The flower appears to be regular so it is Dendropthoe falcata.
Thanks
Satish

J.M. Garg

Feb 1, 2009, 11:43:48 PM2/1/09
to satish phadke, Aparna Watve, indiantreepix Indian
Lovely pictures, Satish ji.
From Indiantreepix Database:
2009/2/1 satish phadke <phadke...@gmail.com>

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Pankaj Oudhia

Feb 2, 2009, 3:53:19 PM2/2/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Garg ji,

Here is link to Hindi article written on Dendrophthoe falcata recently.

http://pratikriyaa.blogspot.com/2008/12/63.html

Pankaj Oudhia