Profusion of pink blossoms - Lagerstroemia speciosa

raghu ananth

May 9, 2008, 9:14:41 AM5/9/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com

The pink flowers  are just the remedy for jaded souls.

Looking at the riotous profusion of pink blossoms, one feels vibrant and refreshed. It’s flower power at its very best!

Lagerstroemia speciosa (Syn. L. flos-reginae & L. thorelli)

Regards

Sunita Raghu

Jigani, Bangalore
April 2008

Bring your gang together. Do your thing. Find your favourite Yahoo! Group.
DSC_6584b.jpg
DSC_6590b.jpg
DSC_6587b.jpg
DSC_6583a1.jpg

Kenneth Greby

May 9, 2008, 9:39:55 AM5/9/08
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
 The pink-flowered forms of this (normally lavender-flowered) tree are particularly attractive.

 There is also a rare white-flowered form here in Florida, USA that I will attempt to get pictures of soon, probably in another month.

Regards--
Ken Greby.
Palmetto BAy, Florida, USA

J.M. Garg

May 10, 2008, 5:44:22 AM5/10/08
to Kenneth Greby, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Here are details from Indiantreepix Database:
Lagerstroemia speciosa (Syn. L. flos-reginae & L. thorelli)
Lythraceae  Jarul, Giant Crape-myrtle, Queen's Crape-myrtle, Pride or Rose of India, Motabandara, Banabá Plan, tamhan I have records of its flowering on 13/4/06 in Kolkata. Just started flowering in Kolkata- 6/4/08- J.M.Garg. Flowering observed in Pune- April first fortnight- Satish ji. Noticed 4-5 queen's crepe trees flowering in Delhi (Lodhi Road & Mayur Vihar Ph-1 ) since 24 April'08- Rita ji. Also Seen flowering in Mumbai, Thane, Kolad(Raigad) [Maharashtra]- Tejal ji- 28/4/08. Flowering on 12/4/08 at Jigani, Bangalore- Sunita Raghu ji. It's flowering profusely in Kolkata & Delhi now- 10/5/08- J.M.Garg.
Trees of Delhi- flowers from late April to June: another flush in the rains. Beautiful Trees & Shrubs of Calcutta- flowers in early summer (April- May) with a 2nd flush in early monsoon (July-August).  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagerstroemia_speciosa Jarul/ Queen's crape myrtle (Lagerstroemia speciosa syn L.thorellii & L.flos-reginae) - indiantreepix | Google Groups Monsoon magic- Bathing Purple Sunbird (Female) on a Jarul (Lagerstroemia speciosa) Tree. - indiantreepix | Google Groups Bath in a Jarul (Lagerstroemia speciosa) leaves- Purple Sunbird (female) - indiantreepix | Google Groups

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Kenneth Greby

May 10, 2008, 8:50:37 PM5/10/08
to J.M. Garg, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Greetings--

 Here are a few pictures (sorry about the rather poor quality) of the white-flowered form of Lagerstroemia speciosa, taken near the end of their blooming season last year (2007) I will attempt to get better pictures soon, as they should be coming into bloom here shortly.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/2-1.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/3-1.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z93/fastfeat/1-3.jpg

Regards--
Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, Florida USA

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 11, 2008, 1:42:46 AM5/11/08
to Kenneth Greby, J.M. Garg, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Huge tree, Ken. In India it is a mid-sized tree.
akbhatt

satish phadke

May 12, 2008, 3:23:32 AM5/12/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Kenneth Greby, J.M. Garg, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
We also get some huge trees in Konkan (west Maharashtra) and in Karnataka.
Here is one picture of huge Lagerstroemia from Kudremukh Karnataka shot in last summer.
Satish
--
SATISFIED http://satishphadke.blogspot.com/
Tamhan1.jpg

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 14, 2008, 12:30:12 AM5/14/08
to satish phadke, Kenneth Greby, J.M. Garg, raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Profusely flowered, yes. But huge, I doubt it.
akbhatt