Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp. AND Cajanus cajan (L.) Huth

Dinesh Valke

Dec 22, 2021, 1:03:52 PM12/22/21
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Tabish Qureshi, J.M. Garg
Dear friends,
I was about to compile names of the species Cajanus cajan, when I stumbled across pages for each of these taxons - Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp. AND Cajanus cajan (L.) Huth at POWO and GBIF, and perhaps they are listed similarly in other taxonomical sites. At Wikipedia, there is Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp. ... at eFI, we have Cajanus cajan (L.) Huth ... at FoI, we have Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp.

There may be some reason why both taxa are listed as accepted names; but I think they both are pointing to the same popular plant that is cultivated world-over. Please help me know which one is to be considered as heading for compiling its names in Indian languages. In my notes, I have been using Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp.

Regards.
Dinesh

Saroj Kasaju

Dec 22, 2021, 1:50:57 PM12/22/21
to efloraindia, Dinesh Valke, Tabish Qureshi, J.M. Garg
https://www.ipni.org/n/1006709-2
If we follow CoL, Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp. should be the accepted name !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Dec 22, 2021, 7:40:36 PM12/22/21
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia, Dinesh Valke, Tabish Qureshi
It is better to follow IPNI when in doubt.
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Dinesh Valke

Dec 22, 2021, 10:32:06 PM12/22/21
to J.M. Garg, Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia, Tabish Qureshi
Thank you very very much, Saroj ji and Garg ji.
I will go with Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp. as per IPNI.
Regards.
Dinesh

Saroj Kasaju

Dec 23, 2021, 12:18:06 AM12/23/21
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, efloraindia, Tabish Qureshi
OK Dinesh Ji !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Dinesh Valke

Dec 23, 2021, 1:03:01 AM12/23/21
to Saroj Kasaju, J.M. Garg, efloraindia, Tabish Qureshi
On going through the following pages, I found:
GBIF: Cajanus cajan (L.) Huth as "ACCEPTED" and  Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp. as "DOUBTFUL"
IPNI: Cajanus cajan (L.) Huth ... here, Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp. and Cajanus cajan (L.) Druce are mentioned as isonyms.

Thus, I am taking Cajanus cajan (L.) Huth as heading for compilation of vernacular names.

Thanks once again, Saroj ji and Garg ji.

Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 28, 2021, 8:32:52 AM12/28/21
to efloraofindia
Dinesh ji, when dealing with accepted names we have to follow nomenclature rules
Earliest name for the plant is Cytisus cajan Linn., 1753
Since this species was later transferred to genus Cajanus, we have to follow earliest valid combination
We have these

Obviously Cajanus cajanus (L.) Huth is the accepted name
If you Google search, you will find most recent publications following this.