Large-leaved Mahogany/ Bastard Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla)

J.M. Garg

Jul 24, 2007, 11:34:10 PM7/24/07
to indiantreepix
One of the two species grow in India (other one being Spanish Mahogany- Swietenia mahogoni, I posted earlier), its leaves are paripinnate with small greenish-white flowers in small open clusters among the leaves (not shown in the picture). Though more hardy & growing quickly, it lacks the handsome spreading nature of Spanish Mahogany.
Pictures taken at Joka, Kolkata recently.
For more information, please click on the link below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swietenia

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For learning about our trees & plants, please visit http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix?hl=en
Fruit with leaves at Branch Canopy I IMG_8673.jpg
Leaves & Pond Heron I IMG_8642.jpg
Leaves I IMG_8668.jpg
Old Bark & leaves I IMG_8671.jpg
Young Bark I IMG_8669.jpg