Re: Tecona stans - Yellow Flower

18 views
Skip to first unread message

Giby Kuriakose

unread,
Sep 26, 2011, 3:52:56 AM9/26/11
to Subrata Mahapatra, indiantreepix, Gurcharan Singh, anand...@gmail.com, ajinkya gadave, Mahadeswara
Dear Subrata Ji,

The subject line for this post has broken at some point/s, I guess. Therefore, I am changing the subject line to the first upload and giving links for related discussions.  


 
I am extremely sorry that I couldn't reply in time as I was not accessing email for last 2-3 days. 
Yes I got your mail and let me correct myself on one aspect that, in T. castanifolia the leaves are not strictly simple but mostly simple and sometimes, especially at the tip leaves are tri-foliate

I hereby provide the key for Tecoma as seen in Bhat K G (2003) Flora of Udupi

Leaves simple or 2-3 foliolate........ T. gaudichaudi (now, T. castanifolia
Leaves 5-13 foliolate .................... T. stans 

Please visit the following site for a video in which bees (Apis cerana) visiting the flowers of T. castanifolia. In this video we can see most of the leaves are simple and the flowers are clustered (inflorescence) at the tip.       



http://www.hear.org/pier/species/tecoma_stans.htm (please visit this link for a comparison with T. stans)


The pictures in your last mail shows that the leaves are tri-foliate in that case your plant could be Tecoma castanifolia (hoping that the basal/other leaves are also simple or tri-foliolate not 5-13 foliolate, please confirm this). 

Confusion always arise when there is no information related to the plants are available. Therefore, I once again request all members to provide as much information on the plant as you can along with the id request.


Thanks and Regards,
Giby 



  


On 24 September 2011 12:11, Subrata Mahapatra <sub.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Giby ji, 
Why did not you confirm stans or castanifolia ? (excuse me for spelling mistakes ). I went to the park and with a lucky coincidence could pluck  and sent it at once to indiantrrepix with copies to you. Leaves have serrated edges. Do you call it tripinnate (three leaves in a stock) ? Please do reply.It is then T.stans ! 
Pl. confirm..


On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Giby Kuriakose <giby.ku...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Subrata Ji,

Thank you very much for your reply. 
I am very pleased to know about you and your interest on plants. 
Yes, as we had discussed sometime in the thread T. stans do have compound leaves and T. castanifolia have simple leaves. Please check the following links below for more information 
 


Any further information on the plants in your pictures would be highly appreciated.



Thanks and Regards
Giby

   


On 22 September 2011 20:22, Subrata Mahapatra <sub.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Giby
I'm a layman. My subject is Electronics.Height of the tree is about 4m which tallies with web., flowers exactly like what i saw. So i was happy with ID. Has T.stans compound leaf ? Net says ht  for the other 6 to 8m which is not the case. I,ll try to check, if successful let u know. Regards



--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE),
Royal Enclave,
Jakkur Post, Srirampura
Bangalore- 560064
India
Phone - +91 9448714856 (Mobile)
visit my pictures @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/giby




--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE),
Royal Enclave,
Jakkur Post, Srirampura
Bangalore- 560064
India
Phone - +91 9448714856 (Mobile)
visit my pictures @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/giby

Giby Kuriakose

unread,
Sep 28, 2011, 2:31:18 AM9/28/11
to Subrata Mahapatra, indiantreepix
Thanks for your mail. Please cc your mails to indian...@googlegroups.com to reach the conversation to members of our group. 

Yes as you learned 3 foliolate leaves are also compound leaves. At first I learned that T. castanifolia has simple leaf then I referred more literature from our library and understood that it can have trifoliolate leaves as well along with simple leaves. 

To me 4m and 6-8m doesn't make much difference, rather I would consider the place where it grows as height of plants mostly depends upon availability of light and cluttering with other plants. If the plant stands alone there are chances that it might be smaller than that of another individual of the same species that grows in a clutter. 
One thing that would certainly clarifies about the species is the number of leaflets in one leaf stalk.
If there are 5-13 leaflet in one leaf stalk it would be T. stans, otherwise it can be T. castanifolia

In south India T. stans is common and the other species is not as common. 
I will send you few illustrations of morphological characters of plants in another mail. 

Regards,
Giby

   


On 27 September 2011 18:47, Subrata Mahapatra <sub.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Many thanks for the wonderful video of bees collecting nectar. 
Bhatt ji has said that it is T. stans.
For comparison you referred to article which describes 'leaves opposite, pinnately compound [Pl. explain], leaflets 1-9, usually 3-7'. I told you I am anovice. I had to learn what is a compound leaf. I saw a few illustrations in the net in which trifoliate is shown as compound. Pl educate me if you have time.In my previous letter to you i said that the height of the tree is about 4 metres which is what the net describes. For castanifolia net says "6-8" m which is definitely not. Why dont you look from this angle also?
I understand my last submission is not coming for public. I wanted people should be aware that it may be used as ornamental trees on the roads in campuses.

sub.ma...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 7, 2011, 7:39:06 AM10/7/11
to efloraofindia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Giby ji,
Sorry for late reply. I was waiting for the illustrations you
promised.
An error has crept in the title. It is Tecoma stans.
As per your suggestion I went ( Location-Kolkata ) and verified ;
leaves are not simple. They are trifoliate and opposite. You quoted RG
Bhatt(Flora of Udupi)
Leaves simple or 2-3 foliolets - T. castanifolia
Leaves 5-13 foliolets - T, stans.
Hence this cannot be uniquely identified . However I would like to
draw your attention to another specification from PIER for T. stans
"Shrub or small tree (one ref mentions 4m high) --- Leaves OPPOSITE,
pinnately compounded, leaflets 1-9, usually 3-7 - - " This lends
support it to be T. stans.

On Sep 28, 11:31 am, Giby Kuriakose <giby.kuriak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your mail. Please cc your mails to
> indiantree...@googlegroups.comto reach the conversation to members of
> our group.
>
> Yes as you learned 3 foliolate leaves are also compound leaves. At first I
> learned that T. castanifolia has simple leaf then I referred more literature
> from our library and understood that it can have trifoliolate leaves as well
> along with simple leaves.
>
> To me 4m and 6-8m doesn't make much difference, rather I would consider the
> place where it grows as height of plants mostly depends upon availability of
> light and cluttering with other plants. If the plant stands alone there are
> chances that it might be smaller than that of another individual of the same
> species that grows in a clutter.
> One thing that would certainly clarifies about the species is the number of
> leaflets in one leaf stalk.
> If there are 5-13 leaflet in one leaf stalk it would be *T. stans*,
> otherwise it can be* T. castanifolia*.
>
> In south India T. stans is common and the other species is not as common.
> I will send you few illustrations of morphological characters of plants in
> another mail.
>
> Regards,
> Giby
>
> On 27 September 2011 18:47, Subrata Mahapatra <sub.mahapa...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > Many thanks for the wonderful video of bees collecting nectar.
> > Bhatt ji has said that it is T. stans.
> > For comparison you referred to article which describes 'leaves opposite,
> > pinnately compound [Pl. explain], leaflets 1-9, usually 3-7'. I told you I
> > am anovice. I had to learn what is a compound leaf. I saw a few
> > illustrations in the net in which trifoliate is shown as compound. Pl
> > educate me if you have time.In my previous letter to you i said that the
> > height of the tree is about 4 metres which is what the net describes. For
> > castanifolia net says "6-8" m which is definitely not. Why dont you look
> > from this angle also?
> > I understand my last submission is not coming for public. I wanted people
> > should be aware that it may be used as ornamental trees on the roads in
> > campuses.
>
> > On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Giby Kuriakose <giby.kuriak...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Dear Subrata Ji,
>
> >> The subject line for this post has broken at some point/s, I guess.
> >> Therefore, I am changing the subject line to the first upload and giving
> >> links for related discussions.
>
> >>https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/15...
>
> >>https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/80...
>
> >> I am extremely sorry that I couldn't reply in time as I was not accessing
> >> email for last 2-3 days.
> >> Yes I got your mail and let me correct myself on one aspect that, in *T.
> >> castanifolia *the leaves are not strictly simple but mostly simple and
> >> sometimes, especially at the tip leaves are tri-foliate*. *
>
> >> I hereby provide the key for *Tecoma *as seen in Bhat K G (2003) *Flora
> >> of Udupi*.
>
> >> Leaves simple or 2-3 foliolate........ *T. gaudichaudi *(now, *T.
> >> castanifolia*)
> >> Leaves 5-13 foliolate .................... *T. stans *
>
> >> Please visit the following site for a video in which bees (Apis cerana)
> >> visiting the flowers of *T. castanifolia. *In this video we can see most
> >> of the leaves are simple and the flowers are clustered (inflorescence) at
> >> the tip. * * * *
>
> >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErxyQ49QOfE
>
> >>http://www.palmerareal.com/hotel_palmera_real_atacames_080.htm(please
> >> click on *Tecoma castanifolia* to see picture)
>
> >>http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/286452/
>
> >>http://www.hear.org/pier/species/tecoma_castanifolia.htm
>
> >>http://www.hear.org/pier/species/tecoma_stans.htm(please visit this link
> >> for a comparison with *T. stans*)
>
> >> The pictures in your last mail shows that the leaves are tri-foliate in
> >> that case your plant could be *Tecoma castanifolia *(hoping that the
> >> basal/other leaves are also simple or tri-foliolate *not 5-13 foliolate*,
> >> * please confirm this*).
>
> >> Confusion always arise when there is no information related to the plants
> >> are available. Therefore, I once again request all members to provide as
> >> much information on the plant as you can along with the id request.
>
> >> Thanks and Regards,
> >> Giby
>
> >> On 24 September 2011 12:11, Subrata Mahapatra <sub.mahapa...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >>> Dear Giby ji,
> >>> Why did not you confirm stans or castanifolia ? (excuse me for spelling
> >>> mistakes ). I went to the park and with a lucky coincidence could pluck  and
> >>> sent it at once to indiantrrepix with copies to you. Leaves have serrated
> >>> edges. Do you call it tripinnate (three leaves in a stock) ? Please do
> >>> reply.It is then T.stans !
> >>> Pl. confirm..
>
> >>> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Giby Kuriakose <
> >>> giby.kuriak...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>>> Dear Subrata Ji,
>
> >>>> Thank you very much for your reply.
> >>>> I am very pleased to know about you and your interest on plants.
> >>>> Yes, as we had discussed sometime in the thread *T. stans *do have
> >>>> compound leaves and *T. castanifolia *have simple leaves. Please check
> >>>> the following links below for more information
>
> >>>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tecoma_stans**
> >>>> *
> >>>> *
> >>>> *http://freeimagefinder.com/detail/319419120.html*
>
> >>>> Any further information on the plants in your pictures would be
> >>>> highly appreciated.
>
> >>>> Thanks and Regards
> >>>> Giby
>
> >>>> On 22 September 2011 20:22, Subrata Mahapatra <sub.mahapa...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >>>>> Dear Giby
> >>>>> I'm a layman. My subject is Electronics.Height of the tree is about 4m
> >>>>> which tallies with web., flowers exactly like what i saw. So i was happy
> >>>>> with ID. Has T.stans compound leaf ? Net says ht  for the other 6 to 8m
> >>>>> which is not the case. I,ll try to check, if successful let u know. Regards
>
> >>>> --
> >>>> GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
> >>>> Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE),
> >>>> Royal Enclave,
> >>>> Jakkur Post, Srirampura
> >>>> Bangalore- 560064
> >>>> India
> >>>> Phone - +91 9448714856 (Mobile)
> >>>> visit my pictures @http://www.flickr.com/photos/giby
>
> >> --
> >> GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
> >> Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE),
> >> Royal Enclave,
> >> Jakkur Post, Srirampura
> >> Bangalore- 560064
> >> India
> >> Phone - +91 9448714856 (Mobile)
> >> visit my pictures @http://www.flickr.com/photos/giby
>
> --
> GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
> Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE),
> Royal Enclave,
> Jakkur Post, Srirampura
> Bangalore- 560064
> India
> Phone - +91 9448714856 (Mobile)
> visit my pictures @http://www.flickr.com/photos/giby- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages