Nervillia infundibulifolia

Pravin Kawale

Jun 18, 2010, 7:36:44 AM6/18/10
to efloraofindia
Hi,
Flowers of
Nervillia infundibulifolia
Location: kanakeshwar,Alibag
Date/Time : 18June,2010 8.00am
Habit : Terrestrial herb , ground orchid
Habitat: Moist deciduos forest
Leaves: Funnel shape,cordate,nerves 5-7 pairs
Thanks

DSC06236.JPG
DSC06238.JPG
DSC06243.JPG

DSC06236.JPG
DSC06238.JPG
DSC06243.JPG

tanay bose

Jun 18, 2010, 8:14:44 AM6/18/10
to Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
A new plant for me Pravin Ji thanks for sharing
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Jul 11, 2010, 2:57:42 PM7/11/10
to efloraofindia
This flower is very different from infundibulifolia I have......
Can you plz share the picture of leaves if possible. They must have
been out by now. But for sure, Nervilia shows a lot of variation. I
have 3 species lying on my laptop from western Himalayas
unidentified!!!!!
Regards
Pankaj

Pravin Kawale

Jul 12, 2010, 3:30:28 AM7/12/10
to Dr. Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Hi,
Sending the same
Thanks

--
Pravin

Leaves of N.Infundibulifolia 1.jpg
Leafof N.infundibulifolia.jpg

mani nair

Jul 12, 2010, 3:49:04 AM7/12/10
to Pravin Kawale, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Beautiful orchid.
Thanks for sharing.
Mani.

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 12, 2010, 5:11:02 AM7/12/10
to mani nair, Pravin Kawale, efloraofindia
Dear Dr. Pravin
Please check my slide of the same and let me know what you think. Me
and Dinesh K Agarwala thinks that this is infundibulifolia.
Pankaj
NER INFUN Pankaj Kumar.jpg

Smilax004

Jul 12, 2010, 5:20:22 AM7/12/10
to efloraofindia
It is N. infundibulifolia, I guess. Dear Pankaj. I also come across
these variations across habitat and at different places.

Regards
Giby
>  NER INFUN Pankaj Kumar.jpg
> 381KViewDownload

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 12, 2010, 5:23:48 AM7/12/10
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
Yes Giby, these orchids are not everyone's cup of tea....they confuse
so often.....I have received 3 Nervilia from Himalaya recent, and I am
unable to reach to some conclusion. Trying to acquire types of few...
Pankaj

tanay bose

Jul 12, 2010, 7:46:15 AM7/12/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Smilax004, efloraofindia
A new plant for me, only thing I can say is the leaves look awesome !!
Tanay

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 12, 2010, 7:51:08 AM7/12/10
to tanay bose, Smilax004, efloraofindia
Nervilias have one particular thing in common. It tend to initiate
floral stalk from the underground corms only after a short rain, that
is during pre monsoon. If the pre-monsoon is delayed then they can
give floral shoot only if it get interrupted rain. Otherwise this
plant give foliar shoot during rainy season. The blooming period is
very very short. I imagine, my N. infundibulifolia bloom didnt even
last for 3-4 hrs......
In such short time I imagine how it manages to get
pollinated......SO.....to compensate this, they grow in large
bunches....I have seen patches of Nervilia prainiana, N. aragoana, N.
gammieana at different places, where number of individuals were more
than 1000s.....

Orchids have mind too :))

Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 12, 2010, 7:52:31 AM7/12/10
to tanay bose, Smilax004, efloraofindia
Just for information, just now I got another Nervilia, now I have 4
unidentified ones lying on my laptop......
Pankaj

tanay bose

Jul 12, 2010, 7:54:00 AM7/12/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Smilax004, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj Ji for the lovely set of information,
Can you kindly provide some information regarding pollination if available with you
Tanay

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 12, 2010, 8:05:24 AM7/12/10
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
Those informations are based on my personal observations of 5-8 years,
so unfortunately I dont have a published information on pollination in
these unique plants....
Pankaj

tanay bose

Jul 12, 2010, 8:07:35 AM7/12/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Smilax004, efloraofindia
Thanks for reciprocation
and information
Tanay

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 12, 2010, 2:03:47 PM7/12/10
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
I happened to check pollination aspects in Nervilia. Few species are
supposed to be self pollinated while some are pollinated by wasps and
small bees. Some species offer nectar for pollinators where as those
which lack nectar attract pollinators by false methods like deception.

Reference: Dressler, R. L. 1993. Phylogeny and classification of the
Orchid family. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.

I dont have access to another important book on pollination aspect: An
atlas of orchid pollination: America, Africa, Asia and Australia By
Nelis A. Cingel. If anyone has this reference then please check page
132 and let me know....

Regards
Pankaj

tanay bose

Jul 12, 2010, 2:46:21 PM7/12/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Smilax004, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj Ji for the information

Tanay

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 12, 2010, 2:50:16 PM7/12/10
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
Welcome........

mani nair

Jul 12, 2010, 2:53:17 PM7/12/10
to tanay bose, Pankaj Kumar, Smilax004, efloraofindia
Pravin ji, I like to see this orchid.  Where exactly in Kanakeshwar?

Regards,

Mani.