Request for ID Iris- 180310RA1

rashida atthar

Mar 18, 2010, 10:11:31 AM3/18/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

This beautiful garden variety was seen last sunday, details below. Request species ID.
Thank you.

Date/Time:

14 March ’10,  around 10.00am

Location - Place, Altitude, GPS:

Rani baug, Mumbai

Habitat- Garden/Urban/Wild/Type:

Urban, garden

Plant Habit- Tree/Shrub/Climber/Herb:

Herb

Height/Length:

small

Leaves –Type/Shape/size :

Linear, parallel venation,glossy

Inflorescence Type/ size :

Solitary on top

Flowers - size /Colour/Calyx/ Bracts:

White, blue, maroon speckled-six free with scape and spathe.

Fruits Type/Shape/Size :

Not seen

Other information like Fragrance/ Odour/ Pollinator/Uses and so on:

Pleasant mild fragrance.

regards,
Rashida.

IPL - III and all the controversies Drag n’ drop
Iris .JPG
Iris 1.JPG
Iris 2.JPG
Iris 3.JPG
Iris 4.JPG
Iris 5.JPG

Satish Phadke

Mar 18, 2010, 11:26:57 AM3/18/10
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Excellent pictures of a beautiful flower.
Appears to be Neomarica gracilis posted earlier by some from Delhi and Munnar.
Dr Phadke

tanay bose

Mar 18, 2010, 11:32:02 AM3/18/10
to Satish Phadke, rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
dear Rashida ji,

NEOMARICA GRACILIS
Apostle's Iris

From the Iris family comes this Neomarica with sword shaped leaves and fragrant flowers. The delicate flowers last only a day but the plant continues to form new blooms for long periods of time during late spring months. Makes also an excellent houseplant.
This is not a water Iris, be careful not to overwater. Neomarica gracilis is a type of walking Iris. Once the flower is spent, the stem that
it was born on lays to the ground and from that a new plant is formed. For that reason it is said to be walking across your garden.
You can divide plants and plant them in new locations.

Regards

Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

rashida atthar

Mar 19, 2010, 2:28:15 AM3/19/10
to tanay...@gmail.com, phadke...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Satish ji and Tanay ji  for the ID. Tanay ji thanks for giving all the details. I was delighted to know I saw it in the short span the flowers last.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 21:02:02 +0530
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:30190] Request for ID Iris- 180310RA1
From: tanay...@gmail.com
To: phadke...@gmail.com
CC: rashid...@hotmail.com; indian...@googlegroups.com

All the latest on four wheels and more Get it now.