Waytura (Aponogeton satarensis)

Adesh Shivkar

Sep 24, 2008, 8:01:33 AM9/24/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com, wildflowerindia
Place: Kass Plateau, Approx. 20 kms north of Satara, Maharashtra.

Location of flower / plant: Shallow fresh water pools.....we found this twice on the Kaas plateau.

Date: 21st Sep'08

Equipment: Canon 40 D Camera + Tamron 90 mm macro lens

Species: Aponogeton satarensis

Local name (Marathi) : Waytura (In a shape of alphabet "Y")

Notes: Aquatic herb, 15-25 cm high. Rare in shallow freshwater pools and streams on lateritic plateaus in hills.
(Source: Flowers of Shayadri)

Warm Regards,
Adesh Shivkar

Waytura-1.jpg
Waytura-2.jpg

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 24, 2008, 8:33:45 AM9/24/08
to Adesh Shivkar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Adesh
beautiful photograph,
is this plant found first in Satara? sps name suggest so.
madhuri

> Place: Kass Plateau, Approx. 20 kms north of Satara,
> Maharashtra.
>
> Location of flower / plant: Shallow fresh water
> pools.....we found this
> twice on the Kaas plateau.
>
> Date: 21st Sep'08
>
> Equipment: Canon 40 D Camera + Tamron 90 mm macro lens
>

> Species: *Aponogeton satarensis *
> ***
> *Local name (Marathi) : Waytura (In a shape of alphabet

Adesh Shivkar

Sep 24, 2008, 8:43:27 AM9/24/08
to formp...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Madam,

I am not aware of this..... You may be right .....it seems that this species was first identified from Satara (?)

Regards,
Adesh

rajank

Sep 24, 2008, 11:30:32 AM9/24/08
to indiantreepix
Adesh,

Very good pho of Aponogeton satarensis. It seems that this particular
hydrophyte

may be rare, & may be discoveredby local botanist recently..

Thanks.

Rajan Karnik.

Adesh Shivkar wrote:

> Place: Kass Plateau, Approx. 20 kms north of Satara, Maharashtra.
>
> Location of flower / plant: Shallow fresh water pools.....we found this
> twice on the Kaas plateau.
>
> Date: 21st Sep'08
>
> Equipment: Canon 40 D Camera + Tamron 90 mm macro lens
>
> Species: *Aponogeton satarensis *
> ***
> *Local name (Marathi) : Waytura (In a shape of alphabet "Y")

J.M. Garg

Sep 24, 2008, 10:11:46 PM9/24/08
to rajank, indiantreepix
Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link on Aponogeton:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aponogeton

Aponogeton is a genus of 45 - 50 species of flowering plants, the only genus of the family Aponogetonaceae.

Many species grow in temporarily still or flowing waters and live through the dry period as a dormant tuber.

They are fully aquatic herbaceous plants with milky sap, becoming dormant during drought conditions. Most species grow from tubers. Most Asian species remain submerged all year round, whilst the starchy tubercles of the African species are able to survive the dry season by shedding their leaves and undergoing a dormant period.

The tubers of several; species are eaten by humans and their livestock. Some are grown as ornamental plants in aquariums or ponds

As the plant stops growing it can be taken out of the pond or aquarium and put in a bowl of damp sand. Keep the bowl in a dark, cool place with the sand kept damp for approximately 2 - 3 months at a temperature of about 50 - 64F (10 - 18C) until small leaves are seen to sprout from the tuber when they can be returned to the pond or aquarium to grow away again.[4]

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg