please id this fern

arjun

Aug 19, 2010, 9:48:20 PM8/19/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,

Whenever i have access to  internet, going through all the mails in this group is such a learning experience. Thank you to all members.

Please do id this lovely looking fern, i've attached a photograph of its roots also. My co worker on the farm said the roots are used in treatment for jaundice. Interestingly a small piece of the root is tied around the neck & jaundice disappears in a few days :-))

--
Best !

Arjun.

at village: Pishvi
taluka: Velhe
district: Pune
Maharashtra.
Pin : 412 212

+91 981 0448200
+91 940 4241901

id this fern.jpg
the roots of the fern.jpg

Vijayasankar

Aug 19, 2010, 10:29:10 PM8/19/10
to arjun, efloraofindia
Dear Arjun ji, this is Asparagus racemosus, called as Shatavari in Sanskrit meaning 'the plant of one hundred roots'.

Its a flowering plant. Leaves are highly reduced and the branchlets are modified into short needle-like structures, giving probably a 'fern-like' appearance but no way it is related to ferns. It has white flowers that give rise red fruits. Of course the tuberous roots are used for treating various ailments, but its use for treating jaundice is a news to me, thanks for the information.

With regards

Vijayasankar

harish nangare

Aug 19, 2010, 10:32:38 PM8/19/10
to dobigh...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
is it asparagus?

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 07:18:10 +0530 wrote

tanay bose

Aug 20, 2010, 12:46:37 AM8/20/10
to harish nangare, dobigh...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com

Dear Harish Ji,

As said by Vijaysankar Ji the plant photo attached by Arjun Ji is indeed Asparagus racemosus (Satavar, Shatavari, or Shatamull) from the family Asparagaceae [Synonym: Asparagus rigidulus Nakai,   Protasparagus racemosus (Willd.) Oberm]. Due to its some kindly of reduced leaf structure it somewhat mimicries ferns but it an angiospermic plant. It root are known to have high medicinal importance but its activity regarding curing of jaundice is completely new to me.

Regards

Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

mani nair

Aug 20, 2010, 3:37:17 AM8/20/10
to tanay bose, harish nangare, dobigh...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Arjun ji, I think the plant in the photo is not a medicine for jaundice.  It is bhui Awla, the juice of which is taken for jaundice and found to be very good.

Regards,

Mani.

promila chaturvedi

Aug 20, 2010, 9:56:04 AM8/20/10
to Vijayasankar, arjun, efloraofindia
Asparagus racemosus gives highly fragrant white bloom in small clusters which is favourite flowers of honey bees.
Promila

arjun

Aug 22, 2010, 1:17:58 PM8/22/10
to promila chaturvedi, Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
thank you so much for the assistance & i will confirm about the jaundice cure