Id of Ficus species

Raptor Conservation

Aug 27, 2011, 8:31:25 AM8/27/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

Took out this Ficus seedling growing from under my Sintex tank; I could not get the hole roots out, but managed some of them and I planted it in a polybag and it after 2 weeks began sprouting new leaves. It is locally (Telugu) known as Juvvi. The fruits are eaten but many species of birds. The bark of adult trees is pale greenish-yellow and smooth.

Sorry again I do not have picture of adult trees, but next time I'll take some pictures of some adult trees, leaves, fruits etc.

Date/Time- July 2011

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- Wild, Urban habitat

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  Seedling

Height/Length- 7-8 inches

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- Simple

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Best regards,
Dr.Pranay Rao Juvvadi,
General Secretary, Raptor Conservation Foundation,
1-10-63/4, Chikoti Gardens , Begumpet,
Hyderabad-500 016,
Andhra Pradesh, India .
Mobile No: (091) 9866978785
Email: raptorc...@yahoo.com

Ficus species 1.jpg
Ficus species 2.jpg

Neil Soares

Aug 27, 2011, 1:07:55 PM8/27/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Raptor Conservation
Hi,
 If I was to hazard a guess, I would say this is Ficus amplissima [F.tsiela].
                      With regards,
                        Neil Soares.

Raptor Conservation

Aug 27, 2011, 1:18:23 PM8/27/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Neil Soares
Thanks a lot Neil Ji. I'm sorry I'm providing very little for you guys to give an ID.

Can you please advise me what to photograph if there is a problem with ID.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Dr.Pranay Rao Juvvadi,
General Secretary, Raptor Conservation Foundation,
1-10-63/4, Chikoti Gardens , Begumpet,
Hyderabad-500 016,
Andhra Pradesh, India .
Mobile No: (091) 9866978785
Email: raptorc...@yahoo.com

Satish Phadke

Aug 29, 2011, 10:28:02 AM8/29/11
to Raptor Conservation, indian...@googlegroups.com, Neil Soares
Never mind ..You seem to have a lot to share.
I am sure you will come up with some more plants with better visible characters.
Don't forget to number it  in the subject line when a new unIDed plant is posted.
Dr Phadke

H S

Sep 1, 2011, 7:32:40 AM9/1/11
to Satish Phadke, Raptor Conservation, indian...@googlegroups.com, Neil Soares
Yes F. amplissima (bark greenish)
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Raptor Conservation

Pinki

Sep 5, 2011, 5:23:46 AM9/5/11
to efloraofindia
Ficus amplissima, fruits stalkless and the species can very much be
confused with Ficus infectoria....but the differences are:

1. bark greenish, yellow (greyish in F infectoria)
2. fruits stalkless (stalked in F infectoria)
3. fruits black when mature (white in F infectoria)
4. there is some difference in leaf outline also but the difference is
slight (the leaf margins are more parallel in F. infectoria whereas
the margins are more rounded in F. amplissima) the difference can be
observed when both the leaves are held together...

Alok