Request for ID. of another BARLERIA sps 22 10 09 SNP

satish pardeshi

Oct 22, 2009, 8:48:35 AM10/22/09
to indiantreepix
Hello all
another Barleria species for identification.
this plant was observed in Lonar Crater, Buldhana this october
the outer calyx is spinous toothed which indicates it is Barleria cristata.
However i have earlier collected Barleria cristata var crisata and B.
cristata var. dichotoma. this plant shows oblong leaves which is very
different from the two B. cristata i have collected.
please help in Id.

regards
Satish Pardeshi

22 10 09 SNP1.JPG
22 10 09 SNP2.JPG
22 10 09 SNP3.JPG
22 10 09 SNP4.JPG
Barleria cristata var. dichotoma leaf & infl1.jpg
Barleria cristata var. cristata twig1.jpg

Hemanth

Oct 22, 2009, 9:49:08 AM10/22/09
to satish pardeshi, indiantreepix
Dear Satish,
The flower and the bracts take to two conclusions.
1. B. cristata var. dichotoma. But, in B.cristata var. dichotoma, the leaves
appear bigger than what you have posted in the pictures.

I think this could be somewhere around Barleria nitida. But its distribution
appears to be restricted to South India.

Check for B. nitida. If that is the case it may a unique finding.

We also considered,

1. B. noctiflora, but in this case the corolla tube of B.noctiflora is
longer.
2. B. buxiflora, but in B. buxiflora the plant is spinous.

Please check and let us know where u arrive. ;)

- hemant

rashida atthar

Oct 22, 2009, 10:07:30 AM10/22/09
to satishp...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Pardeshi ji, this could be Barleria cristata Linn. var. dichotoma (Roxb.) Prain. There is  a line drawing and a pic of the same in Flora of Mah. Vol IV  and it does show  oblong leaves. Outer calyx spinous toothed is also seen in the line drawing.

regards,
Rashida.

> Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 18:18:35 +0530

> Subject: [indiantreepix:21305] Request for ID. of another BARLERIA sps 22 10 09 SNP

satish pardeshi

Oct 22, 2009, 11:51:04 AM10/22/09
to rashida atthar, indiantreepix, Hemanth ...read the report
Yes it is close to Barleria cristata.
when i compare it with both the varieties of B. cristata the habit is
very different, the leaves are oblong and pubescent. one more peculiar
character i observed is that the lower lip is distinctly bilobed.
right now i dnt have access to literature, hence could not refer the
other species as suggested by Mr. Hemant.
B. nitida or some other species ...?. lets wait for some more comments..

thanx and regards
Satish Pardeshi
> ________________________________
> New Windows 7: Find the right PC for you. Learn more.

J.M. Garg

Nov 17, 2009, 4:34:33 AM11/17/09
to indiantreepix, satish pardeshi, Hemant Tripathi, rashida atthar

Forwarding again for Id assistance pl.

Barleria cristata var. dichotoma leaf & infl1.jpg
Barleria cristata var. cristata twig1.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 5, 2009, 1:45:04 AM12/5/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, satish pardeshi, J.M. Garg, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
Forwarding again for ID

Earlier Feedback.....

Satish pardeshi ji....... It is different from both varieties of Barleria cristata.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor